What's new

two colonial?? era pieces of metal

SwampCreek

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
57
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
I'm really not sure of the age of these items, as it seems the site (my backyard) has been continuously occupied from the 1700's up until current. I'm wondering what this iron handle might have come from. It was extremely rusted when first dug, but I used a bit of electrolysis on it to get rid of the majority. The other roundish item was found a few feet away, and before I cleaned it the hole in the center appeared more square. This also appears to be iron. Any thoughts as to what these items are and possible age? Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0670a.webp
    CIMG0670a.webp
    56.7 KB · Views: 329
  • CIMG0672a.webp
    CIMG0672a.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 299
Might be, but all the wash tub handles I'm familiar with are made from round stock steel bent into shape. This piece swells where you would grab it and looks to me like it might be forged.
 
Upvote 0
two iron nails :) one buckle which looks like a horse harness :)
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a small chest or trunk handle. Hand-forged, one on each end with two eyes probably secured the handles to the chest or trunk.
 
Upvote 0
Could be a trunk handle, but could also be a girdle cinch.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm just going to label it as a handle to 'something'...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom