Two firsts today, silver, and cleaning question

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was a pretty good hunting today! Got permission at a 1940 house. I know it's been detected before at least 4-5 times in the past. Anyway... Found my first silver Rosie, which makes three silvers for the year, and also my first buffalo nickel! It's toasted and I cannot see a date, i thought either 26 or 36 but i think my eyes are playing tricks. My question is... How should I clean the buff???? Lemon juice or no? Maybe nic a date after cleaning? Any help would be appreciated. Oh and also found this silver looking button but I don't think it's silver. And also 56 d wheat penny. Happy hunting!!

image-237334915.jpg

image-3105813187.jpg

image-4070866850.jpg

image-1917802591.jpg

image-2515704016.jpg

image-1442982726.jpg

Upvote 6
Nice finds congrats! Great looking first Rosey!

I 'm sure somebody will be able to help you with the cleaning question.

Lemon juice works well!Allot of the cleaning proses is just timing!Use 80% lemon juice 20% water mix solution, dip coin in it for about a minute ,brush on it with toohtbrush,repeat until desired affect.Be sure too rinse well with water when finished to get all the acid off.But do be careful not to over clean!The prosses shouldn't take very long.Make sure you keep a eye on what your doing,if your nickle turns another color you have over cleaned>This method is probably best for them copper coins we just cant read the date,brings out guild in allot of rough buttons as well

Last edited:
congrats on the silver and the buff, I am still looking for my 1st detecting ones. good luck on the cleaning, those and IH are cool coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back