Two old gold rings

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The wind here in the NE hasn't been great in the last month, too much and always in the wrong direction. Yesterday was the first day I could get out when it was much better wind wise, but still murky. I did over three hours with my 120CF tank in 10'and less (tide was dropping) and used an Excalibur to find two dozen+ sinkers these and these two rings. This was popular swim area from the 1800's until the 1960's, now it's rare to see anyone swimming in the water. The first was the signet, marked 10K. It was only about 8" down in a heavy layer of shells and some rocks. The second is a 14K wedding band, the marks are "56" with a sideways face and the letters "AB" turned sideways in an oval. The second mark in the rectangle are what looks like "G.P." but the first letter is squared off. It's not plated. Both rings have the solder joints corroded out. Thanks for looking
ND1.jpg
ND2.jpg

Upvote 35

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wind here in the NE hasn't been great in the last month, too much and always in the wrong direction. Yesterday was the first day I could get out when it was much better wind wise, but still murky. I did over three hours with my 120CF tank in 10'and less (tide was dropping) and used an Excalibur to find two dozen+ sinkers these and these two rings. This was popular swim area from the 1800's until the 1960's, now it's rare to see anyone swimming in the water. The first was the signet, marked 10K. It was only about 8" down in a heavy layer of shells and some rocks. The second is a 14K wedding band, the marks are "56" with a sideways face and the letters "AB" turned sideways in an oval. The second mark in the rectangle are what looks like "G.P." but the first letter is squared off. It's not plated. Both rings have the solder joints corroded out. Thanks for looking
View attachment 2037604 View attachment 2037605
[/QUOTEvery nice congratulations I really have to learn how to dive also

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. Those are Russian hallmarks. The gold mark is a girl wearing a headdress tied at the back, called a “kokoshnick” and was the mark used with that name up until the Russian Revolution of 1917. The direction the head is facing gives a more precise time frame. Facing left dates between 1899-1908.

The ‘56’ is the Russian “zolotnik” purity mark. The Russian pound (funt) was divided into 96 zolotniki, so this is 56/96 parts of gold = 585/1000 parts of gold = 14k in the western world.

The two letters at the extreme right, oriented sideways, are the initials of the assayer. Note that these will be in the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, so ‘AB’ would transliterate to ‘AV’ in our Latin alphabet. I believe it’s for Aleksandra Viurzhikovskogo [Александра Вюржиковского in Russian), active as an assayer between the same dates of 1899-1908.

The other mark will be the maker’s mark. Again, in the Cyrillic alphabet and I believe it’s ‘БР’, which transliterates to ‘BR’ in our Latin alphabet. My guess is that this is Gravech Brothers, founded in St Petersburg in 1866 and in operation until 1918. The Gravech Brothers did not actually have their own registered mark but used the personal marks of the silversmiths and goldsmiths that they employed. The Cyrillic ‘БР’ mark is one of several they are known to have used, and perhaps the most commonly seen but I don’t know who the actual craftsman was.

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sweet. Those are Russian hallmarks. The gold mark is a girl wearing a headdress tied at the back, called a “kokoshnick” and was the mark used with that name up until the Russian Revolution of 1917. The direction the head is facing gives a more precise time frame. Facing left dates between 1899-1908.

The ‘56’ is the Russian “zolotnik” purity mark. The Russian pound (funt) was divided into 96 zolotniki, so this is 56/96 parts of gold = 585/1000 parts of gold = 14k in the western world.

The two letters at the extreme right, oriented sideways, are the initials of the assayer. Note that these will be in the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, so ‘AB’ would transliterate to ‘AV’ in our Latin alphabet. I believe it’s for Aleksandra Viurzhikovskogo [Александра Вюржиковского in Russian), active as an assayer between the same dates of 1899-1908.

The other mark will be the maker’s mark. Again, in the Cyrillic alphabet and I believe it’s ‘БР’, which transliterates to ‘BR’ in our Latin alphabet. My guess is that this is Gravech Brothers, founded in St Petersburg in 1866 and in operation until 1918. The Gravech Brothers did not actually have their own registered mark but used the personal marks of the silversmiths and goldsmiths that they employed. The Cyrillic ‘БР’ mark is one of several they are known to have used, and perhaps the most commonly seen but I don’t know who the actual craftsman was.
Thanks so much, I would never have found all that on my own.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves and well done. couple of nice pats o' butta there.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sir, you continue to amaze me!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike I always wanted to learn how to dive Congratulations on your beautiful rings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread