"Understanding your X-TERRA" an eBook

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
"Understanding your X-TERRA" an eBook

Understanding your X-TERRA is a project that I have been working on since being part of the initial X-TERRA Field Test Team. Since that time, I've spent thousands of hours detecting homesteads, picnic grounds, fairgrounds and old parks. During those hunts, I took hundreds of pages of notes as to what worked best for me, and why. Eventually, these notes made their way to the folks at Minelab. Not only has Minelab honored my request to make this information available at no cost, their Graphic Arts Department has transformed my "text version" into a well designed eBook. Ive been informed that Minelab will be measuring the success of this eBook project by the number of individual downloads. If the response to this eBook is high, there is a very good probability of future eBooks being written on other products. So please, join www.minelab.com as a member (that is FREE too!) and download the eBook yourself, rather than sharing via other methods.

If you own an X-TERRA or have considered purchasing one, I encourage you to take a look at "Understanding your X-TERRA". The complete eBook is available to download in PDF format in the www.minelab.com members section. If you are not a member yet, registering is quick, easy and free all you need to do is complete the members registration form and activate your membership.

I invite you join me in saying "thanks" to Minelab for making this eBook available, free of charge. You can do this by making a comment on my TreasureTalk blog announcing this eBook, at
http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/understanding-your-x-terra-ebook

HH Randy

Del-Bill

Greenie
May 26, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Minelab QUATTRO MP, Minelab Xterra 70
Re: "Understanding your X-TERRA" an eBook

Like Randy said, if you own an XTERRA or are thinking of getting one, you need to read this book. I just read it and it is informative and very well done. I must say thanks to Randy, he really hit one out of the park with this one.

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used

Thanks for your comments. :icon_thumleft: :icon_scratch: Glad you liked it. HH Randy

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a great book , thanks for posting the link, If you are new and have an X-Terra then you need to get this book.
And if you have been using one for awhile it will help also.

You did a great job on this book.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good Job on the book . :icon_thumleft: :read2: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone.....

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it! Glad you're finding this eBook useful. :read2: HH Randy

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer

Awesome Ebook! I have an X-Terra 50 and I'm still a little unclear about the noise cancel feature. How would I tell if I need to alter it from 0 as apposed to just GB better?

Shark27

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used

You should be selecting the proper Noise Cancel channel before you ever put the coil to the ground. After you find the proper NC channel, then you can adjust the other settings, including GB. Selecting the proper noise cancel channel is just a matter of listening for interference. If you hold the coil up off the ground (about waist high with the coil flat toward the ground) and get "noise" that is continuous and has a definite rhythm, it is probably RFI, EMF or another type of electrical interference. The object is to change the noise cancel channel on your detector until you find the channel that produces the least amount of noise. Zero sets the detector at the resonant frequency, with negative number and positive numbers representing a slight offset in that freq. If you don't hear any noise in the area you are hunting, or all the channels are equally as quiet, you can use any channel you want. If you take a look at page 84 in the eBook, you will see how much each noise cancel channel changes the frequency. HH Randy

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer

Digger USA said:
You should be selecting the proper Noise Cancel channel before you ever put the coil to the ground. After you find the proper NC channel, then you can adjust the other settings, including GB. Selecting the proper noise cancel channel is just a matter of listening for interference. If you hold the coil up off the ground (about waist high with the coil flat toward the ground) and get "noise" that is continuous and has a definite rhythm, it is probably RFI, EMF or another type of electrical interference. The object is to change the noise cancel channel on your detector until you find the channel that produces the least amount of noise. Zero sets the detector at the resonant frequency, with negative number and positive numbers representing a slight offset in that freq. If you don't hear any noise in the area you are hunting, or all the channels are equally as quiet, you can use any channel you want. If you take a look at page 84 in the eBook, you will see how much each noise cancel channel changes the frequency. HH Randy

Great stuff Randy! thanks so much, I honestly never really understood the noise cancel feature until you just explained it. Thank you again and great job on the Ebook!

Shark27

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread