Unidentifiable object? Button? Coin?

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So next to an old tree (gigantic oak) next to a really old school AND near civil war area I pull this.
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG
It rang up on AT max like 80. 7 inches down under a root. It has a small hump on the back and is scratched unbelievable bad on both sides. I’m thinking some sort of flat button but I’m lost on this one??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of those finds where everything lines up, best location, history, under root of 400 year of big oak, great signal and you wind up with a what the heck. I’ve gotten my share of those and THOSE drive my nuts. If I’m still clueless after a day I give them a hot peroxide bath.

And no it never helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ringing up at 80 on the machine is only a good reference if one is familiar with the machine. So what does 80 tell you, brass, copper, silver?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's something to try AFTER all other identification tests have failed to give you certainty about the object's ID. I wouldn't suggest this ID-test if the disc wasn't already kinda beat-up. Make a TINY scrape on its edge, to see whether the metal's color is pink/orange (copper, most likely a coin) or yellow (brass, most likely a button).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread