What's new

Unidentified relic

dognose

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,571
Reaction score
13,182
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Unidentified relic of some sort. I found this outside the town of Ware, Jefferson County, Missouri about 1980.
My buddy Tom and I were crossing a small creek bed to go from one field into another. I found this in the plowed field next to the creek bed.

I took to a number of geologist when I worked at the USGS and also to geologist at Purdue. None could identify it for sure. I got opinions ranging from a fossilized egg to a concretion. Concretion was discounted due to the layering effect is not seen. Instead a crystallization shell like layer can be seen in the one image which is different than how a concretion would form.


Ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170107_123902.webp
    20170107_123902.webp
    308.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170107_123909.webp
    20170107_123909.webp
    208.8 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
No idea, Looks like some war clubs I've seen. But they were all made out of WOOD though. Honestly I don't know but it is cool. Artifact or Natural if you like it keep it.
 
Could it be an incomplete pestle .... Looks like pecking on the smooth parts
 
natural and unusual
 
Sir - That is a very cool piece. I love the comment that arrow86 gave. I hope that you dont mind a few pic's and a couple questions. Here is a piece that i creek found and have never had a solid answer for it. I would appreciate all comments - Good or Bad. I found it in Kansas. Also, i have lots of artifacts from Jefferson County as well. Would you mind sharing a few pics of yours. Thank you and much respect, Mogiblank1.webpblank2.webpblank3.webpblank4.webp
 
1st one looks like a fossil of some sort to me. I hope Charl sees this he is good at knowing what something like that is. Im not good at it and probably no help at all just being honest :)
 
Mogi, is it concave on both ends? Can you show better pictures of the ends? Did it come from a Ft Ancient/Mississippian site? I ask because yours could possibly be the start of a Spool. Is it Sandstone? Most Spools were Sandstone.

Spools (Late Prehistoric Fort Ancient) - ArrowHeads.com
 

Attachments

  • asd.webp
    asd.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 98
I will send better pics Grim. Give me just a minute. It was found in a small tributary creek near Kansas City,Kansas. Thank you!
 
I will send better pics Grim. Give me just a minute. It was found in a small tributary creek near Kansas City,Kansas. Thank you!

blank5.webpblank6.webpblank7.webpblank8.webpblank9.webpblank10.webpblank11.webpblank13.webp
 
Great pics. I am stumped by that piece, but I don't think it's natural. It looks to have been pecked or ground into that shape. Nice oddity.
 
Great pics. I am stumped by that piece, but I don't think it's natural. It looks to have been pecked or ground into that shape. Nice oddity.
Would it be something to keep? And would you possibly consider it an artifact?
 
Would it be something to keep? And would you possibly consider it an artifact?

By definition alone, if it was altered by man then it is an artifact and yes I would definitely keep it. Even if it turns out to not be an artifact it's just one of those cool stones we find while hunting that we keep. I have a rock garden full of them, as I'm sure most of us do.
 
By definition alone, if it was altered by man then it is an artifact and yes I would definitely keep it. Even if it turns out to not be an artifact it's just one of those cool stones we find while hunting that we keep. I have a rock garden full of them, as I'm sure most of us do.

Oh yeah, in the Spring after the snow, we can all send pics of our rock gardens full of unexplainables! Haha.
 
Dinosaur egg?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom