Kevo_DFX
Hero Member
- Joined
- Sep 5, 2008
- Messages
- 567
- Reaction score
- 135
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Greensburg, PA
- Detector(s) used
- DFX
Hi, I thought I'd bring this back now that we have some new eye's on the forum (hi breezie). This looks way to mass produced to be something noone has ever seen before.
Found this in SW PA on a farm that dates back to the 1860's. The piece (brass) has two tabs on the back that were attached to a rectangle made of iron. Most of the iron rusted away and broke free, but it was intact when I put it in my pouch. It's a little bigger than a quarter.
Also found these buckles. I don't know if these need ID'd or not, just thought they'd add to the historical flavor:
Thanks for looking.
Kevo
Found this in SW PA on a farm that dates back to the 1860's. The piece (brass) has two tabs on the back that were attached to a rectangle made of iron. Most of the iron rusted away and broke free, but it was intact when I put it in my pouch. It's a little bigger than a quarter.
Also found these buckles. I don't know if these need ID'd or not, just thought they'd add to the historical flavor:
Thanks for looking.
Kevo


Here's my thoughts: #1 It was used as a work piece as well as a decor piece because it has the iron rectangle for support, and the thin brass for a little glitz. #2 It must have been made when brass metal was hard to obtain (ie. the South during CW era, but there were other times when brass was scarce), if not, the entire piece would have been thick brass. #3 It has no way of attachment except through the holes much like a slitted concho is attached. #4 I think it was used on some type of horse tack; possibly a saddle concho. Nice finds! Breezie







