Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But it's interesting to me, I reckon. I found this down here in GA in a small trash pile off a road that hasn't been used since at least the 50's. It's near an old homesite that was razed around that time. I've found iron slag in the same general area, although there were no know furnaces in the area.

It seems like a C Clamp of some kind, but I've never seen one that has that "star" clamp on it. I did some searching for old/ancient/antique clamps and came up blank. Similarly no luck with google image search. As you can tell by the pen, it's around 5 inches.

Scrubbed and cleaned, but no markings that I can see. The lack of precision on the star and on the round part it clamps to makes me think it's somewhat primitive or homemade?

Anyone seen something like this? Thanks in advance!

B1.jpg

bbb.jpg

www.jpg

Found this along with the clamp in the trash pile. My expert research has led me to conclude it's a tin cup. Used for dumping grease. Yep, I'm that good :) The wife thinks it's the most useful thing I've found in the past year.

a.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, clamp for patching an innertube. Usually you would use hot patches in that clamp. The hot patch had the vulcanizing rubber on one side of a metal housing. You placed that against the innertube over the hole. Then on the other side, you would light it with a match and watch the fireworks. It would heat up and melt the rubber onto the innertube sealing the hole. You could also use the clamp for a glue on patch too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, clamp for patching an innertube. Usually you would use a hot patches in that clamp. The hot patch had the vulcanizing rubber on one side of a metal housing. You placed that against the innertube over the hole. Then on the other side, you would light it with a match and watch the fireworks. It would heat up and melt the rubber onto the innertube sealing the hole. You could also use the clamp for a glue on patch too.

Wow, thanks! See, this is why I love this hobby...you find things that you didn't even know existed!

Upvote 0

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "GREASE" container could be a hold over from WWII when people were asked to save their left over grease from cooking and take it to their butcher shop for war use. Some times it could be worth ration coupons or points.

CB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "GREASE" container could be a hold over from WWII when people were asked to save their left over grease from cooking and take it to their butcher shop for war use. Some times it could be worth ration coupons or points.

CB

Nail on the head! This is from The Atlantic magazine:

The premise was simple: Engage women in the war effort right from their kitchens. “A skillet of bacon grease is a little munitions factory,” announces a booming voice in the Disney propaganda cartoon. “Every year 2 billion pounds of waste kitchen fats are thrown away—enough glycerin for 10 billion rapid-fire cannon shells.” Making a roast? Don’t throw out those lovely puddles of grease drippings—save them for our boys on the front line. Housewives were directed to strain their leftover fats (no bacon bits in the bombs, please), and store them in a “wide-mouth can.” Once a pound or more was collected, the fat was to be handed over to any one of 250,000 participating butchers and retail meat dealers or 4,000 frozen food plants who would then turn the fat over to the army. The donor got four cents a pound for the fat, and in December 1943 when lard and butter began to be rationed, the government started offering two ration points per pound as well.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd seen one used in a 3rd world country tire repair on utube.

Hey, who are you calling 3rd world! :tongue3: I've used one many times in the past, in fact, I think I still have the clamp and some patches around here somewhere.......been a while since I had an inner tube that needed repair! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, who are you calling 3rd world! :tongue3: I've used one many times in the past, in fact, I think I still have the clamp and some patches around here somewhere.......been a while since I had an inner tube that needed repair! :laughing7:

I love to watch the Indian workers ,this guy was fixing a big truck tire and doing it all by hand. others welding with no shield and barefooted or wearing sandals , holding the work with their feet as they pound away with a sledgehammer and all sorts of very unsafe things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love to watch the Indian workers ,this guy was fixing a big truck tire and doing it all by hand. others welding with no shield and barefooted or wearing sandals , holding the work with their feet as they pound away with a sledgehammer and all sorts of very unsafe things.

Man, we have become soft over here across the pond, haven't we? I'm trying to teach my boy to toughen up. The other day out in the woods, he gashed his ankle pretty decent, and he just moans to me "Daaddd, it's cut REAL bad, and it's bleeding, what are we gonna do?!?!" and I looked at it and said, "Can you walk?" and he said "Yeah..." so I said, "Well, for now I spose we're just gonna let it bleed until it stops." He did NOT like that answer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread