Unknown Mineral in Unknown Stone Matrix

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2013-02-20 22.25.13.jpg 2013-02-20 22.24.27.jpg 2013-02-20 22.47.28.jpg This stone I discovered on The Bruce Peninsula (between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay). It was in the wash-out of a natural freshwater spring. Heavy for its size, After cleaning I noticed 3 little silvery protrusions. When magnified they're smooth but look melted (wavy)? After a search on the web the only pics of raw minerals that match is platinum.
As for the interior..I halved the stone, then dampened the cut sides. Anyone have any idea?
Sorry about the close-up pics, I've not a proper camera. :/

Attachments

• 2013-02-20 22.28.31.jpg
    2013-02-20 22.28.31.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 2013-02-21 00.17.17.jpg
    2013-02-21 00.17.17.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 2013-02-20 23.11.10.jpg
    2013-02-20 23.11.10.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 2013-02-20 23.11.38.jpg
    2013-02-20 23.11.38.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 331
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily scratched by a knife, if it is Mica. Has a diorite related like look to me?
I guess you'd have to have someone look at it in person to know for sure.:)
Thanks Eu citzen, I had done some heavy scrubbing with a very 'heavy duty' wire brush on the exterior silvery 'globs' when I first discovered this stone and under 10x magnification there seems to be no scatched markings at all?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily scratched by a knife, if it is Mica. Has a diorite related like look to me?
I guess you'd have to have someone look at it in person to know for sure.:)
Hi Eu citzen, Brian,
When I halved this grapefruit size stone...it cut 'easily and smooth'with a diamond blade quick-cut (stone quarry saw):icon_scratch:
Any granite type stone (diorite)?..Here we call them 'hard-heads'....
This same stonesaw and diamond blade will just 'bounce and spark' trying to cut into them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just took a sharp pointed tip knife and sratched one of the 1/8" silvery exterior protrusions.
It is very soft....easily gouged with knife-tip pressure! :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just took a sharp pointed tip knife and sratched one of the 1/8" silvery exterior protrusions.
It is very soft....easily gouged with knife-tip pressure! :icon_scratch:
It has an approximate circumference of...18"-lenghtwise..15"-widthwise
The weight... 8 lbs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's mica.
Hi Brian, had a look at mica pics...are they always 'flakes and shavings' that chip thin and brittle?
These silver 'gobs' don't resemble mica pics....this looks and felt like gouging lead when scratched, no brittle srcatch! :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brian, had a look at mica pics...are they always 'flakes and shavings' that chip thin and brittle?
These silver 'gobs' don't resemble mica pics....this looks and felt like gouging lead when scratched, no brittle srcatch! :icon_scratch:

Ok. What you might have is graphite. If it is silver and soft, it might be graphite. Try to scrape some of this unknown mineral off onto a sheet of paper. Place your finger on top of the mineral and slide it against the paper. If if leaves streaks, then more than likely it's graphite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:Well, did the streak test....nothing, the white paper is clean!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Brian, guess I'll have to find an 'unused' section under the lid of 'the toilet tank' again! :laughing7: heh,heh!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always tell a rockhound by the under side of their toilet lid lol mine is streaked up as well from rocks
Hahaha! TeAra...At least "our type" utilize something that everyone else only uses for 'one thing'!....(or two). Heh heh heh :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...did The Streak Test on...'the lid'. ;)
The little silver 'goblets' streaked a dark grey line :icon_scratch: ....But...the rest of the stones 'matrix'...
Leaves totally 'clean' gouges...no color marking at all!??? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...did The Streak Test on...'the lid'. ;)
The little silver 'goblets' streaked a dark grey line :icon_scratch: ....But...the rest of the stones 'matrix'...
Leaves totally 'clean' gouges...no color marking at all!??? :icon_scratch:

Look at the mineral is it dull gray or silver? Is it a earthy gray or a polish silver-gray? When scratching it can you tell if the mineral flakes off, or any right angles or shapes of the edges of the mineral after you scratch it off the rock?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the mineral is it dull gray or silver? Is it a earthy gray or a polish silver-gray? When scratching it can you tell if the mineral flakes off, or any right angles or shapes of the edges of the mineral after you scratch it off the rock?
Hey Brian,
question #1: not dull gray but Silver...
#2: Seen on exterior of matrix with the naked-eye..4 silver polished? shiny goblets...
Under 10x loupe they appear waterworn or melted? (like a lava flow/wave would cool/harden with noticeable ripples! ).
#3: When scratched with knife-point...no flaking period!...knife-tip pressed into one and pulled across left no flakes but a shallow gouge which was/is even shinier than the rest of the one silver little test blob.
#4: They cannot be scratched off the matrix...
tapping a knifeblade under it with a little hammer probably would 'slice' it off (judging by its appearance and texture not as hard as iron)...but I don't wish to damage them anymore than I have to!
#5: All have no sharp sides or edges...just smooth and flat rounded. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brian,
question #1: not dull gray but Silver...
#2: Seen on exterior of matrix with the naked-eye..4 silver polished? shiny goblets...
Under 10x loupe they appear waterworn or melted? (like a lava flow/wave would cool/harden).
#3: When scratched with knife-point...no flaking period!...knife-tip pressed into one and pulled across left no flakes but a shallow gouge which was/is even shinier than the rest of the one silver little test blob.
#4: They cannot be scratched off the matrix...
tapping a knifeblade under it with a little hammer probably would 'slice' it off (judging by its appearance and texture not as hard as iron)...but I don't wish to damage them anymore than I have to!
#5: All have no sharp sides or edges...just smooth and flat rounded. :icon_scratch:

I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to test this unknown mineral. I'm usually really good at determining minerals. It was my forte back in college. Not really sure what you have. But I don't think it's galena. If it didn't mark the paper you don't have graphite. It might be rutile. There is a slight chance it could be magnetite, very slim chance. But I just don't know.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Brian T. Booth

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to test this unknown mineral. I'm usually really good at determining minerals. It was my forte back in college. Not really sure what you have. But I don't think it's galena. If it didn't mark the paper you don't have graphite. It might be rutile. There is a slight chance it could be magnetite, very slim chance. But I just don't know.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Brian T. Booth
Thanks Brian, This Stone is strange alright! :) even the gray matrix with greenish tinged areas don't mark the ceramics...and it looks like it should...being easy to cut with a diamond quarry saw!? :icon_scratch:
Thanks Again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics showing the 'Odd' exterior and color contrast from light/dark grey area....with separate olive green in outer areas too! :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 2013-03-18 19.56.08.jpg
    2013-03-18 19.56.08.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013-03-18 19.55.37.jpg
    2013-03-18 19.55.37.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013-03-18 19.55.30.jpg
    2013-03-18 19.55.30.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

W.T.F

Greenie
Mar 22, 2013
Quebec
Detector(s) used
Never
Primary Interest:
Other
What, are the dark small holes, in the broken matrix? (magnetic attr.?) Do other fragments have a magnetic attr.? (little)
Would not the Abee Meteorite Matrix look a little like yours? (cutten face) Just like that.
W.T.F

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread