What's new

Unreal spear or blade in ROCK!!

jackiemaclin

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 21, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
On the River
Detector(s) used
3rd eye
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello People, I have one of the most unusual finds in my 40+ years of findings. Most of all my findings are in North Arkansas & S. Missouri. I will soon post some of the findings later. Yet now as my first posting, check out this rock with a spear or blade in it. Kind of reminds me of King Author and those days when the Sword was found in the stone! I welcome any opinions & comments. jackiemac 20150707_125601.webp
 
Upvote 24
I haven't a clue, but its cool as you know what. Congrats
 
It's kinda difficult to make out any flaking on the piece in the somewhat fuzzy picture, but the edge does look sharp and blade-like. More pictures would be greatly appreciated!

That area is well known for its karst landscape and many caves and springs, so if it is a NA artifact it could have been lodged under a limestone ledge and then rather quickly gotten covered in fresh limestone from the mineral-rich water dripping or flowing on it. I've found sticks and other organic material covered in limestone or cemented in "waterfall stalactites" (not sure what to call them) that probably accumulated in a few years or less.

Cool find!
 
Could the spear be imbedded in petrified wood?
 
That's what I thought. Petrified wood? Or is the rock a fake made out of foam like a taxidermist does? No disrespect I'm just guessing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Could the spear be imbedded in petrified wood?

When I lived in Ky, a mechanic in my hometown had a long display case filled with Indian ( yes, I said Indian. Enough of the politically correct BS! ) artifacts he had collected from a cave on his property. One of his was a point embedded in rock. Our thoughts were the same, that it wasn't rock when it was first stuck in there.
Pretty neat find.
 
Could be fossilized bone
 
Very interesting! When zooming in, the piece does look to have been worked. The somewhat separated pieces which are somewhat different colored from the main rock below where the point of the possible spear point is lodged as well as the different coloration of the rock around the entry point if in fact it is a spear point, leads me to also believe that it may be in a fossil of a bone versus a rock. If it was thrown into an animal or large size, there would definitely be damage and blood intrusion into the bone which could explain the different coloration and possible fracturing around where the possible spear point entered and penetrated the opposite side in trying to exit.


Frank
 
It would be really cool to know if that's wood, bone or stone....either way it is one of the most incredible NA finds I have ever seen...however, I'm still looking for my first arrowhead!
 
Its cool for sure ..But i would like a better pic also...
 
WELCOME TO TNET NEW MEMBER , AND THE INTERESTING FIND THATS DISPLAYED.
 
Yeah, welcome to Treasure Net! I really like your entry for Metal Detectors in your' arsenal! If I had a third eye, I would want it in the back of my' head so that I could see all of the things I missed when walking away.:laughing7:


Frank
 
Last edited:
Spear point was lost in clay/mud that turned to a stone 10k yrs later.
Awesome.
 
Bad picture but looks kind of natural to me.
 
Strange...
I think this piece is a man made point.
I am no expert in this... But have seem tons of points over my years from guys I know who are "into" these sorts of things.
And have found many over the years myself.

Picture this...
Hunting in the period of this point...
Thrown at animal and missed...
Lodges in "crack/hole" (hmmm sounds ummm.... heh)
And is stuck.
Even today. :P

First look at this screams manmade point to me... but perhaps I am wrong.
 
Looks like bone to me
 
looks like a spike. your location is listed as 'on the river', so this leads me to think this was some sort of anchoring device driven in sand stone for a structure of some sort
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom