What's new

Amazing Tombac Button and other recent finds on Cape Cod

Cape Hunter

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
305
Reaction score
1,669
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting some of my more recent find.

This silver gilded tombac button is probably the finest button I have found to date. I have hundreds of tombac buttons but nothing like this one. Such fine detail on a tombac button. Most are rather clumsy designs. But, I'm sure I know who owned the button as to it's found location. He fought in the Revolutionary War. He was well off and known by many people in Harwich/Brewster. I have so far found a number of very nice items he once owned, some from France. Maybe where this button might have come from.

Pewter Horse Rosette was found near a small pond. Not sure of it's date. Guessing mid 1800's, but could be later.

1908 KNIGHTS of PYTHIAS Medallion Medal Pin 25th Convention BOSTON Condition is wonderful, found mixed in with lots of old broken dishes.

Gilded button a dark background. Not sure if that was how it was meant to look like. Gild has held up well on the back as well.

1766 Young King George III. Half Penny in quite good shape. Found in a field.

Small Fancy button with star center. Amazing there is still thread left on the back!

Crazing looking contemporary looking weaved button design. Found at a site with a root cellar, but may be later 1800's of early 1900's.

Small Cross bars button has almost a military look.

Gem Razor. Had to post this silly find in the middle of a field. Somebody shaving while sitting on a tractor? Appears to be a early design. Probably put a blade in and and end up with some nasty nicks.

1837 Coronet Head large cent found last Monday. Cleaned up pretty good. Date is a little weak but still readable. Also found a later date Shield Nickel but it was toasted and not worth showing.

Thank you for looking. Hope to add more in the near future.

Bill D
 

Attachments

  • silver gilded button.webp
    silver gilded button.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 184
  • razor company.webp
    razor company.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 142
  • razor 1.webp
    razor 1.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 129
  • cross button back.webp
    cross button back.webp
    547.4 KB · Views: 130
  • criscross button front.webp
    criscross button front.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 125
  • weaved button back.webp
    weaved button back.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 124
  • weaved button front.webp
    weaved button front.webp
    76.8 KB · Views: 123
  • fancy button 1 back.webp
    fancy button 1 back.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 126
  • fancy button 1 front.webp
    fancy button 1 front.webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 128
  • king geo back.webp
    king geo back.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 133
  • silver gilded button back.webp
    silver gilded button back.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 128
  • pewter horse rosette.webp
    pewter horse rosette.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 118
  • rosette back.webp
    rosette back.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 124
  • medals.webp
    medals.webp
    201.7 KB · Views: 117
  • gilded button front.webp
    gilded button front.webp
    93.5 KB · Views: 129
  • gilded button back.webp
    gilded button back.webp
    98 KB · Views: 128
  • king geo III half penny.webp
    king geo III half penny.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1837 one cent.webp
    1837 one cent.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 1837 one cent back.webp
    1837 one cent back.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 30
That button is awesome. That Hibernia is in great shape! Nice bunch of finds.
Thank you! Yes, I have never seen such a smooth bright surface and super tight detail on a tombac and I have found hundreds of them.
 
Those are some of the nicest buttons I have seen posted, and that KGIII is in great shape. That rosette looked real familiar to me. Turns out I found and posted a seemingly identical one back in December 2020 (photos attached). I saw something online at the time suggesting it dated circa the American Revolution, while Crusader opined it was possibly late 18th or early 19th century. However old, it is a very cool find. Congrats on all those great recoveries.
IMG_9721.webpIMG_9722.webp
 
That is a superior collection of finds Bill. Your tombac button takes the prize. What a lovely specimen. The fact that you are able to identify the original owner makes it very, very special. Major congrats!!!
 
Incredible finds! Looks like you have some great permissions. That Tombac button is amazing...
 
Those are some of the nicest buttons I have seen posted, and that KGIII is in great shape. That rosette looked real familiar to me. Turns out I found and posted a seemingly identical one back in December 2020 (photos attached). I saw something online at the time suggesting it dated circa the American Revolution, while Crusader opined it was possibly late 18th or early 19th century. However old, it is a very cool find. Congrats on all those great recoveries.
View attachment 2227533View attachment 2227534
The home site where I found the Rosette was built in the 1840's. But was torn down about 6 years ago. Lots of more modern horse tack buckles some with leather still attached. I think they had horses there up to the 1970's. It was not found very deep. My best guess the rosette is probably early 1900's. Yours in dead on. Wonder who was making them.
 
Some truly amazing finds Bill. You did a fantastic job cleaning and conserving everything. Do you use hydrogen peroxide on your coppers? Congrats on some quality digs!
 
Some truly amazing finds Bill. You did a fantastic job cleaning and conserving everything. Do you use hydrogen peroxide on your coppers? Congrats on some quality digs!
I have watched videos about using peroxide but when I tried it I was disappointed in the results. In the past I have used weakened white vinegar not letting them soak for more than a hour or two. Does do better on dirt. I try to leave the green patina. I have had many of my copper finds graded by PCGS with the dark green finish still intact. They look great.
 
The home site where I found the Rosette was built in the 1840's. But was torn down about 6 years ago. Lots of more modern horse tack buckles some with leather still attached. I think they had horses there up to the 1970's. It was not found very deep. My best guess the rosette is probably early 1900's. Yours in dead on. Wonder who was making them.
Sounds like an interesting property with a long history. My gut is telling me our rosettes are older than 1900s though. The possible pewter construction with the silvery wash (perhaps nickel or silver) just seems old to me, especially compared to ones I have found that are more obviously modern, i.e., early- to mid- 1900s. Admittedly , I have no expertise with these objects, so my opinion doesn’t mean much. Still, I saw a similarly constructed one on the Historical Society of Clarendon Vermont website that claimed to be 1700s/1800s. Also, here is a sceenshot of the one other rosette I saw online that is identical to ours. He claims it is from the time of the Revolution, but offers no support or basis for that age estimate. Regardless of whether our rosettes are 1900s or earlier, I love their design and think they are very special. I enjoyed your post; those are some great finds.
IMG_9740.webpIMG_9741.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom