What's new

Unusual Colonial Button with Gem and a Semi Key Date Indian with Repunched Date

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, welcome back TNet! I know I am not alone in saying it was not easy getting by without it!

I have not done much detecting, except a bit here and there. On one of these outings I had an hour at dusk while waiting to pick up my son at the movie theater. I hit a very hard hit site and dug an unusual suspender buckle, and then I got a twist top type of signal at 0 inches. I pushed aside some dust and was surprised to see an Indian Head on the surface. It turns out to be an 1869 with a repunched 186! I am not familiar with the Breen varieties, but I think it is a scarce variety.

Then one day last week I returned to the field that has produced more than 200 buttons and a dozen coppers and some Spanish Silver. The signals are getting very sparse now, and there are many deep bits of iron. I dug many of these questionable signals and one turned out to be an awesome button (more than 10 inches deep) with a gemstone. I have never seen one like it before. The backmark on top says GILT, but I cannot tell if the bottom one is just a design or if I just cannot make out the mark. Any ID help is appreciated!

Welcome back TNet!
 

Attachments

  • 100_0342.webp
    100_0342.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 770
  • 100_0339.webp
    100_0339.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 850
  • 100_0333.webp
    100_0333.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 665
  • 100_0344.webp
    100_0344.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 642
  • 100_0345.webp
    100_0345.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 702
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 689
Upvote 0
Neat button Neil WTG
 
It always amazing how you find old coins right on the surface and clad down 10 inches. I can't believe what great shape that indian is in. You've really been on a roll lately. HH
 
Neil, tearing it up again! I am curious, what lead you to the theory that the button is colonial? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Also, did you end up getting an ID on that large cent you dug on our last team hunt? I still haven't ID'd the one I found that day, for I plan to send it away to get cleaned professionally. Yes, the anticipation is killing me!
 
Elad said:
Neil, tearing it up again! I am curious, what lead you to the theory that the button is colonial? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Also, did you end up getting an ID on that large cent you dug on our last team hunt? I still haven't ID'd the one I found that day, for I plan to send it away to get cleaned professionally. Yes, the anticipation is killing me!

It is colonial or more likely "post colonial" (1770's to early 1800) based on the shank, which is an "alpha" shank. Alpha shanks are shaped like the Greek letter Alpha. Similar to Omega shanks, but without the typical Omega feet. Omega shanks are soldered onto the back of flat disc buttons leaving "feet" which are slightly raised. Omega shanks are post 1800.

As I originally suspected, the "Large Cent" was not a large cent at all, but a toasted colonial. It was too thin and the VDI was a bit too low for a large cent. It may be another Irish Halfpenny, but it is too far gone to know for sure.
 
nice find neal! could the penny be a broken dye? enjoy the hobby scott
 
KRAZYHORSES said:
nice find neal! could the penny be a broken dye? enjoy the hobby scott


These are the known Breen varieties listed:

Repunched Date 1869/186
Repunched Date 1869/1869
Repunched Date 1869/69
Overdate 1869/8 - Refuted
 
Cool find, I've never seen one of those before. Is the stone raised or recessed?

Hill
 
Hill Billy said:
Cool find, I've never seen one of those before. Is the stone raised or recessed?

Hill

It is recessed. Here is a closeup of the stone. If you look carefully you can see that there was a ring of dots around it at one time.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 449
Nice one Neil! Not familiar with that variety. GREAT FIND! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Nice digs Neil. The injun is in great shape. And I have never scene a button like that either. I like it though. :icon_thumright:
 
whoa...that button is very unique. What kind of stone do you think it is?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom