Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently cleaned up a couple of hatchets I found in the woods, using electrolysis. The top hatchet is common, but I’ve searched lots of images, and cannot find a reference for the one with the narrow blade. Anyone else ever come across one like this? At first I thought it was for working with wood shingles, but I couldn’t find one with such a narrow blade.

Thanks!

Joe

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teacher.gif
2nd - I pulled these from other TN threads...

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's called a "lathing hatchet" for working on the thin strips of wood under plastered (and sometimes also haired) walls.

1c1c18f118e81ea35de6764da33866f1.jpg

Oop! VP Navy got the image first!

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Charlie, you brought back forgotten memories of volunteering to pull down a plaster wall in a girlfriend's house. House was mid 1800s and all that plaster was reinforced with horse hair. What a mess!!

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first house I lived in as a kid was built in the 1820's and had lath, horsehair and plaster walls.

Small city lot but would have been a GREAT place to detect. It had a hay-loft and wooden beam floor in the "garage" and half the cellar was still dirt floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, VP! Great information to have in hand for the future. I captured the images for reference.������

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that style of hatchet being used on the butcher table as a means for the butcher to get through difficult cuts. Those utilities also had a very skinny blade and was kept very sharp. I also have seen an artist who made totem poles out of logs and he had a set of those type of hatchets with different width blades to make the critical cuts deep in the log. Many of the lathing hatchets had the nail pulling slot on the lower edge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread