What's new

✅ SOLVED Unusual Piece Of Threaded Metal Pipe

USNFLYR

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2018
Messages
334
Reaction score
476
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at an area that once had a Native American presence, and later had a wharf with light industry. At low tides, I beachcomb through a ton of rusty nails, spikes and tools to often find dropped coins or buttons from traders/trappers. In rare occasions, I find an item once carried by a Native American.

This pipe(?) was sawed off at the tip. It could merely have been a hollow rod. I find it unusual due to the lines etched into it. Not understanding the process of early pipe threading, can anyone tell my why lines were scratched into the surface? Was there a function for having the grooves? Maybe when it was manufactured/welded, etc?

Could this have been a trade item, and the lines put on for a design?
IMG_8338.webp
IMG_8331.webp
IMG_4625.webp
 
Last edited:
Yep! Broken nipple! Had that happen more than once.
 
Upvote 0
No cut, It is a break.
Lines are teeth marks from pipe wrench. Or less likely from a pipe clamp/vise.
Wrench teeth pattern shown.

1788983632136.webp
 
Upvote 0
I guess you don't work with tools? Those marks are made by a pipe wrench that has sharp teeth to grip a pipe and be able to tighten it to a fitting.
I laughed. Yup. I am "not handy', so my wife says!

Thanks. I'll put this as solved.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom