What's new

Unusual Stirrup/Spur combo

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While replacing rotting floorboards in the barn - these were found laying in the dirt .
They have no maker's mark . They are made of brass or bronze .
Any ideas on age ? The only cleaning was with an old flannel shirt .

any info is greatly appreciated !
 

Attachments

  • spurs 007.webp
    spurs 007.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 369
  • spurs 008.webp
    spurs 008.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 356
  • spurs 009.webp
    spurs 009.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 360
  • spurs 002.webp
    spurs 002.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 351
Few more pics
 

Attachments

  • spurs 014.webp
    spurs 014.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 346
  • spurs 013.webp
    spurs 013.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 335
  • spurs 012.webp
    spurs 012.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
Those are quite unique!!I like em,and cant say I have ever seen the like
 
Upvote 0
Can't say that I have ever seen or heard of a combination stirrup iron/spur...

Best guess it's an English made iron combo...maybe even a prototype...workmanship is a little rough...

I use a western roweled spur and goose-rake with a backward heel.

Many times, all is needed is simply a jangle that gets the horses attention.

Not sure that I'd want a spur set in a 90 degree position...could get into a lot of trouble especially if squeezed or making a tight corner....or leg is caught on a post or wall...

Interesting to find the actual history...

Tell us some more about what part of the country it was found in...age of barn...etc
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Creskol , nice link !

Stefen , the location is Maine , the barn was built around 1805 - 1825
 
Upvote 0
Looks like spurs designed for a city slicker that didn't wear boots or didn't want to jangle when he walked! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting and unique .
Totally agree with Stefen on it's utility and safety . Had a cheap spur bend 90 degrees inward on a halfbroke bronc once . Dangdest ride I ever had outside a rodeo arena or one night in ....... Oh ! Never
mind . This is a family channel .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom