Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 8
So you're hunting through the mine tailings for fossils? I never thought of that I have an old strip mine on my property I should check it out

Interesting...nice fossils you found...maybe one of the oldest finds on the boards?

Awesome finds! I have seen similar stuff while traveling through the old mine locations West through North through Northeast of where I live. I have always been interested in getting some the dark gray (grey) almost black Slate to replace the Slate of some of my' Turkey Calls but it appears I need to concentrate more on the fossils, especially the Petrified Wood. I have a fairly large specimen of Petrified Wood as well as some smaller ones but have never tried to sell them.

Frank

Bruce R You should be more careful with those rocks use your tailgate not your hood, you put big scratches on your hood!

Bruce R You should be more careful with those rocks use your tailgate not your hood, you put big scratches on your hood!

I hate showing the whole truck, people would think I dug it.

I don't think these are considered petrified wood, more like castings as this is all sedimentary rock, much different than the mineralized stuff from out west.

I don't think these are considered petrified wood, more like castings as this is all sedimentary rock, much different than the mineralized stuff from out west.

Looks like petrified wood to me but I will defer for more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back