UPDATE~1936 Dot Penny..Verdict Is In!

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300
According to my book, I have just found a penny worth $50.000.00!!!

I am SHOCKED, SHAKING and in DISBELIEF!!!

I did the best I can to take a pic to show you guys, and if you look, you will see the DOT!
Posting a few pics of it and what the book shows.

Copy from "The 2007 Charlton Coin guide"

1936dottd7.jpg

dsc04418oq1.jpg

dsc04414jh4.jpg

Pics are not looking good...Here it is Scanned....

1936dotpennyfoundnov222ip5.jpg
1936dotpennyfoundnov222in1.jpg

I know this will have to be "authenticated" as there have only been 4 confirmed but, I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it is indeed an original!

Here's a closer view enlarged by PBK ~ thanks PBK! ;)

index.php

Upvote 0

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OMG... Think I've Found a 1936 Dot Penny...

Holy Smokes!!!!!!! If that is real you can buy all your Tnet friends new shovels. :) We will keep our fingers crossed for ya!

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Weezie...That is way cool "dudette" Congrats on a great (we all hope) find.

Dave

OP
OP
Wezzie

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300

There is indeed a chance that this could be a counterfeit and I'm praying it's not!
Using Treshers pic, I put this together...I dunno....I think it looks pretty darn REAL but, could be my eyes playing tricks, wanting it to be REAL!

Have a look....

mypennyresemblancexx1.jpg

T

TreasureTales

Hey wezzie, if your coin doesn't quite match with the book's example, maybe the coin pictured in the book is the counterfeit, did you ever think of it in those terms? Honestly, who's to say the book has a legitimate example shown? Stranger things have been known to happen. There are a few stories about art museums/galleries that had some famous painters' art hanging on their walls but the paintings were actually excellent copies. So I wouldn't discount your coin's legitimacy until or unless an EXPERT says it's not legit. I'm just wondering how many fakes of that coin could have been made and why would one wind up wherever it was that you found it? Keep the faith!!!!

OP
OP
Wezzie

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300

Thank You TreasureTal... didn't look at it that way.
I can say this much...
I have found some OLD coins at this spot and this spot has been popular since the 18?? (Something) Don't know when the counterfeits were produced...anyone know?
Just last week or week before, I found a 1932 penny simular to this one just the wrong date!

OP
OP
Wezzie

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300

Here's the 1932 Penny...

Attachments

• 1932penny.jpg
    1932penny.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,205

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG :o :o

Pennies from Heaven...one has been dropped just for you. ;D

Congratulations!!

Keep us informed of the authentication.

;) River

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

Well you seem to have found a cent that whoops the hell outta gold coins!!!
AWESOME!!!

Salvager

D

damz68

Hey Wezzie, great find. I will not bother with super imposing your coin with the coin in the book. I just dont think you can get an acurat reading that way. First off, even though the two coins look lined up at the bottom they do not look lined up on the top where the arrows are. Now if it is not perfectly lined up your dot will not be in the right place. Not only that, but being that the coin is showing corrosion it may be corroded on one side of the dot, thus making it look out of place.

Their is a dot, and I just cant see a conterfeit coin getting lost from years back. Today people are capable of doing such a thing, could they do it back then? I can tell you that penny has been in the ground for a long time. I personally think you have something and I am not just trying to make you happy or be optimistic. I really think you have something!

WTG, what stinks is you will probally have to wait till Monday to find out!

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac

first off congratulations! but second i am no coin expert at ALL but with the great detail and that beutiful patina my guess would be it has been in the ground not long after it was new and from that observation means more likely it isnt a fake, would most agree??

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the find ! Hope it's the real thing for you ! $$$$$$$$ !

Huntin' 59er

S

sendin

For myself, I would be too anxious to wait until Monday. Character flaw? I'd bet some coin expert would gladly take a few hours away from the holiday weekend to have a look at such a coin and also perhaps wouldn't mind interrupting one of his contacts to get a second opinion. You could even give the coin expert the url for this post and have him take a look at the photos and comparisons to get it started. It would be great to see what happens at an auction if it turns out to be threal thing. In the meantime, I'll say a little prayer that this coin turns out to be the $50,000+ version.

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006

I gotta chime in on this, I've looked at the picture that has both on the same screen, and drew lines with a card from reference points back and forth both coins, and I see no difference at all! Thats gotta be the same coin.
I wonder how many imperfect coins I carelessly glanced at, and failed to scrutinize. You have sharp eyes and deserve the reward the coin will bring.

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250

Wezzie said:
There is indeed a chance that this could be a counterfeit and I'm praying it's not!
Using Treshers pic, I put this together...I dunno....I think it looks pretty darn REAL but, could be my eyes playing tricks, wanting it to be REAL!

Have a look....

mypennyresemblancexx1.jpg

The images that I posted have the reference image on top of your image. BTW. I had to rotate it 1% clockwise to make them line up.

The only difference between my three images is the amount of transparency of the reference image over your image. The first picture has about 20% transparency, the second has about 50% and the third is a zoom with about 80% transparency to show both dots relative to each other.

Your picture, mypennyresemblancexx1.jpg, is my first one and the reference so of course they look the same.

All images aside and based on what everyone else has said, I'm leaning towards it being real, though I am no expert. And I certainly hope that it turns out to be real.

M

mchamby

wow, what a rush and I got so excited about my large cent........... I hope you dream comes true. ;)
Mchamby

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks real to me.....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Totally awesome, spectacular, gorgeous, wonderful etc. find!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it gets authenticated...look forward to your post saying whether it is real or not...I am no expert but looks like the real thing to me...here's hoping....WTG!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri

Hey wezzie, sure hope your coin is the real thing.......I agree that the patina and discoloration of the coin should put it in the older than the hills category....when I had a question on an older coin, I went to the antique road show page, clicked on auction house's ( which is a sub category listed on the left) and found several auction houses, but the heritage auction house has a e-mail address in which you can send inquiries with pictures....I had a reply in less than 2 weeks, but they say it could be longer due to the amount of inquiries sent in...........best of luck, lady. HH........gregd573

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA

I'm sorry but , I don't buy it . I do however hope I am wrong . Good luck with your find .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread