UPDATE on rust removal on early spur with pics

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a thread not too long ago about this spur and using BuckleBoy's recommendation of Evaporust and it not effecting the patina on the brass. Would anyone have any opinion's on using this product molasses or anything else to remove rust on mostly the chain part of the spur not so much on the rowel. I have included pictures so everyone can see the piece that I am talking about and how the iron interfaces with brass on the spur. Anymore info will be appreciated. Thanks again to BuckleBoy for his recommendation.

024.JPG 025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG 030.JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I eye balled that exact spur about 20 years ago.I will post some pictures when I get a chance.It came from an 1870's site

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I eye balled that exact spur about 20 years ago.I will post some pictures when I get a chance.It came from an 1870's site
? Was the spur you found made of copper. Ive seen examples of this type made of iron and brass , also if Cu. did yours patina in a dark black color ?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny you ask that because I have dug quite a few spurs and have collected many more and cant say I have ever seen a copper spur....copper is much too soft.How do you know yours is copper?Mine appears to be brass but it it exact identicle to yours with the same rowwel and all.I am not home till Monday,and will get pics then

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny you ask that because I have dug quite a few spurs and have collected many more and cant say I have ever seen a copper spur....copper is much too soft.How do you know yours is copper?Mine appears to be brass but it it exact identicle to yours with the same rowwel and all.I am not home till Monday,and will get pics then
You are correct it seems tat copper would be too soft .I was going with that assumption from the color it was changing to when I was cleaning the chain , after it soaked in the apple cider vinegar [mostly on its single stud & strap slots area. Now I am thinking it may be Bronze because it was wanting to change into the exact color that some bronze pennies did when I soaked them in a water & lemon juice combo ; just like the second picture of the cent on the thread " My pennie work" only without the pitting/etc, it still could be made of brass as well. or just a different mixture of metals [ alloy's]. Thank you for your time sincerely Davers
t

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine

spur2_zps6a022d68.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions