Urrrgh! Please help if you can......

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
I'm rarely whipped by the internet.
ESPECIALLY with a topic so recent and widely read!

I read a local (NEPA) newspaper article in the past 2 years that went in-depth covering the labyrinth of lost underground tunnels beneath the city of Scranton.
The article was absolutely FASCINATING!
It tells of the miles of underground tunnels and of their purpose.......originally to ferry workman to and fro as well as to deliver vast amounts of coal to the fuel-hungry buildings that dotted the downtown. MANY of the tunnels had rails! Most had electricity.
The tunnels also played a handy role during prohibition. ;D

The article talks to the longest underground tunnel (IIRC spanning from the Steamtown location down Wyoming Ave.) Nearly all the tunnels have been sealed off and most are now forgotten. One known (but sealed) entrance is in the basement of the Radisson. Another (but now restricted off-limits) is under the Scranton Ammunition Plant.

Not that I want to hit it with an MD (though I wouldn't pass up the opportunity!)......I just want a copy of that article.

It would have been the Scranton Times/Tribune, the Times Leader, Pocono Record, or who knows???

I've 'advance searched' their archives and come up empty.

The article ran in post January 2008 and likely during warm months.

Anyone recall reading such an article?

-

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I don't know the article, but you could try the producers of a show on the History channel, it was called
Cities of the underworld. Maybe they could point you in the right direction

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Yeah - I follow that show.
I'm a history nerd! NatGeo, History Channel, Science Channel, Discovery, & Military Channel all they way!!!!

But they didn't do Scranton.
Most major US cities DO have an underworld. But Scranton is my backyard.
And knowing that most of it is sealed off makes it all the more interesting! <appetizing!>

I've Googled the HECK out of all possible words and combos. That article isn't on the net! (at least via obvious means!)

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
they may not have shown it on tv, but that doesn't mean they didn't do some investigating into Scranton
I did some checking and the only thing I found was about the old railroad lines

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try calling or visiting your local library and ask them. You might just be suprised how much them librarians know. Or another option is a local historical society.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread