What's new

US money can’t feature living people.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,877
Reaction score
76,326
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why Trump’s $1 coin is the exception​


A centuries-old U.S. law forbids the image of any living person from appearing on the nation’s currency. Yet in a bold and unprecedented move, the Treasury Department is reportedly preparing to mint a commemorative $1 coin featuring President Donald Trump.

I'd like one if they are morgan dollar Size



REMEMBER-- NO POLITICS



personally I think the Obverse is Ugly ! But I think ALL Presidents on coins are Ugly not a single one of then would look good in a Bikini !
I Do like the Fight, Fight, Fight reverse though :headbang:
 
Last edited:
I would rather we got away from putting images of specific people on coins, living or dead. Images connotating strength, liberty, and other similar concepts have been the best looking coins made, at least in this country.
 
The work around is it's going to be commemorative coin produced by the U.S. Mint. Currency is produced by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, while commemorative coins are produced by the U.S. Mint, which is part of the Treasury Department.
 
I'm not in favor of ANY known person on our currency, Some of our most beautiful coins have Lady Liberty or some other depiction of a generic person. I vote we bring that back.
 
Last edited:
As a coin collector, US coins have become bland and unappealing since they started putting the presidents on the coins. The last attractive US coin minted for circulation was the Mercury Dime. I wish the US would take some pride in what they mint and go back to making coins like the Mercury dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, Buffalo Nickel, Indian Head Penny and Walking Liberty Half Dollar.

Anthony
 
Why can't We have a $ 15 paper bill with the image of Martin Luther King Jr. ??
Or at least a $ 7 bill with him? A very spiritual number!
Or a $ 12 bill, to symbolize a Cosmic Connection between our lack of Faith and a Faith somewhere Above that no one can See with the naked eye....

That sounds like a middle ground ,right?
 
They started it with Lincoln in 1909. Coins have gone downhill since. I’ll take an Indian or Liberty over a president any day. And definitely no to Trump on any coin.
IMG_1519.webp
 
They started it with Lincoln in 1909. Coins have gone downhill since. I’ll take an Indian or Liberty over a president any day. And definitely no to Trump on any coin.View attachment 2231754
What we do needs coin wilh the beautiful ballroom our great president is building and a percentage could be used to fund mental institutions for all the TDS patients created by this debilitating disease
 

Why Trump’s $1 coin is the exception​


A centuries-old U.S. law forbids the image of any living person from appearing on the nation’s currency.

I don't think that's correct. The 1866 law passed by Congress that is referred to in the video only stipulated that no portrait or likeness of a living person could appear on “bonds, securities, notes, fractional or postal currency of the United States”. It doesn’t mention coins.

In 1921, the US released a commemorative coin to mark Alabama’s centennial, featuring side views of William Bibb, the state’s first governor, and Thomas Kilby, its governor during the centennial. According to the Mint’s website: “This coin was the first ever created by the Mint to carry a living person’s portrait.”

Alabama.webp


Then, in 1926 during the nation’s sesquicentennial celebration, Congress authorised the minting of a commemorative coin featuring joint portraits of George Washington and Calvin Coolidge, who was the living president during the sesquicentennial. The coin proved unpopular and, of a million half dollars that were minted, more than 850,000 were returned to the Mint to be melted down.

The Mint also created a congressionally authorised coin to commemorate the 1995 Special Olympics World Games. Congress didn’t dictate the design, but it featured Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who founded the Special Olympics for people with intellectual disabilities. Shriver was alive at the time (she died in 2009).

In 2016, the Mint released a congressionally authorised coin for former President Ronald Reagan and former First Lady Nancy Reagan, tied to the late president’s 105th birthday. Nancy was alive at the time she was portrayed on the coin (she died a month later).

In recent times there have been multiple pieces of coinage legislation banning living people from being portrayed on US-minted coins, but with specific wording relating to particular coinage series. For example, the 2007 series honouring every president was authorised on the basis that no coin in that series may “bear the image of a living former or current president, or of any deceased former president during the two-year period following the date of the death of that president”.

The legislation concerning the series the Trump administration is considering for the nation’s 250th anniversary comes from the 'Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020' which Trump himself signed into law in January 2021 (unanimously passed by both chambers of Congress). It authorises the redesigns of quarters, half dollars and $1 coins in several sequential series, one of which is a 250th anniversary series to be launched in 2026. The law refers specifically to the reverse of the coin: “No head and shoulders portrait or bust of any person, living or dead, and no portrait of a living person may be included in the design on the reverse of any coin” in the series, but it doesn’t rule out a portrait on the obverse of the coin.

So, there is no barrier to Trump having his likeness on the reverse and, even for him to be on both sides (or obverse only), authorisation would only involve administration officials over which the president maintains direct control. Even if the courts were inclined to block the proposal, a lawsuit would need to be filed citing “direct harm” (of what?), and “It’s unclear who would have standing to sue here,” according to Gabriel Mathy, an associate professor of economics at American University in Washington, DC, who has studied the coinage legislation issues.
 
Last edited:
I don’t want to see a single dead president on any coin, period. If Trump makes it on some sort of commerative I surely won’t buy it.
 
Actuallly Any $1.00 Coin or Token Should Coat $1.00 imo

If it Costs 56.00 It should say it's a $56 Dollar Token,
So there is a Starting Value, Even if a Fake Value
 
Last edited:
I'm not comfortable with any one, especially while living, creating an image of themselves to be admired and worshipped by the masses.
Soo…you definitely don’t worship faces on coins??
 
I would rather we got away from putting images of specific people on coins, living or dead. Images connotating strength, liberty, and other similar concepts have been the best looking coins made, at least in this country.
If not for coins featuring faces, we would never be able to connect a face to a legacy (good or horrific).
 
Soo…you definitely don’t worship faces on coins??
I do not worship faces, nor the person(s) represented, on U.S. coins. That is an absolutely correct statement. I certainly admire some of the historical persons represented on our coins however.
 
I dont like how the Euro coinage portraits all look like inbreds and they are ugly.

I prefer lady liberty, Indians, or anything else on my gold and silver.

Trump might as well mint them on plastic or aluminum coins at this point haha. They will be just as worthless.
 
I dont like how the Euro coinage portraits all look like inbreds and they are ugly.

I prefer lady liberty, Indians, or anything else on my gold and silver.

Trump might as well mint them on plastic or aluminum coins at this point haha. They will be just as worthless.
Maybe gold?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom