using gps for cache hunting

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
K

Kentucky Kache

As I understand it, gps units are only accurate to something like 20 feet.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
The standard commercial GPS units that you can buy on the market will give you an accuracy of between 12 and 60 feet depending on where you are and how the government is “adjusting” the system at the time. You can buy an expensive version of the GPS that some farmers and surveyors use that will put you within a few inches but they are very expensive and require a license.

One thing to keep in mind when using a standard commercial GPS is that even if you get accuracy within 12 feet the mapping program you use will have it’s own problems. On most mapping programs one pixel will equal about 30 feet so with that and the GPS variable you could be off a minimum of 40-50 feet before you ever get started.

A GPS and mapping program are good to have especially if you are working in a large area or following a trail that may take you a quarter mile or more in distance. I GPS everything I find just so I have a good idea on how to get back to it, even if it’s just the general area because I will usually remember exactly where it is after I get fairly close.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I saw an ad the other day for GPS unit that had detailed topographic maps in it. I remember that it was from a company that I don't usually associate with GPS, but can't remember the name. Leopold maybe?!?!? ???

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
Rowdy, nice catch on the Bushnell GPS. That looks like it could be a very good thing. I think I will take a look at one tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
alec said:
Rowdy, nice catch on the Bushnell GPS. That looks like it could be a very good thing. I think I will take a look at one tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

You're welcome, I'd seen either an ad, or a commercial for it a few weeks ago. If the accurracy is there, the map and photos should make it really cool. Kinda like a hand held google earth!

coda

Jun 29, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Detector(s) used
MXT
Keegah,

Like Metal Detectors, the more money you spend the better the GPS you get. Some civilian models will be accurate to 1 meter based on the error margin at the time. You can establish search areas by waypoints you add to the GPS but with limited screen size I would recommend getting a USGS 1:24,000 map to physically plot areas searched/unsearched so you have a good visual reference.

Coda

Digsumthng

Greenie
Oct 22, 2006
Dayton TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
About two weeks ago i purchased the garmin rino 330. It works well (At-least in my opinion) for keeping track of every step you've taken. I use it for the same reason you're talking about. I walked a circle around my truck and the little line followed every step. As far as topo maps i used goggle earth and Terra server to plot every thing out.One hint if i may Use lots of way points.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What someone was talking about above, way back near the beginning, about GPS not being accurate and having to have a license to operate, does not know what he is talking about. Only need a license for a transmitter above a certain power or wave band, not a receiver. Even a small hand held GPS will have 7 numbers or more per Lat or Lon, which should get you within 6 feet of any spot. Some have 9 digits which would be real accurate. Inches. As the above poster said, he walked around his truck and it showed it as a circle. I use them extensivly and have for years, even in the old days and with $100 GPS units, they were very accurate. The more digits the finer the accuracy. plus WAAS GPS which is also several low altitude satelites, and DGPS, which also has 2 land based towers, like LORAN used.(still does), but the DGPS has the satelites too.. They are all very accurate, and the bigger ones do allow downloading.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garmin 60CSx in the field with great results. It has plenty of features, yet it's fairly straight forward to use right out of the box. At most it would only take you a day or so playing with it to learn, not so much how to use it, but where the different functions are located. Essentially, which sequence of buttons to press.

I purchased Garmin's Mapsource United States Topo Maps and a decent sized memory card, which allows me to hold the topo maps of nearly half the United States.

For mapping my treasure hunts and other outdoor adventures, such as any hikes I take or little hidden fishing spots I come across, I use National Geographics TOPO 4.0 (New England Version). I like the NG Topo software for both the detail of their maps, which go down to 1:24,000, and for the ease at which you can transfer waypoints and routes between the software and your GPS.

I will sometimes use google earth to mark the location of something I've found, particulary if I want to share that spot with a friend, but I don't think that's what your looking for in this post. It seems, though I may be wrong, that you want something with more mapping capability. Software that allows you to print out your own maps with your own tracks and trails indicated as you make progress detecting the site. Plus at the same time something that integrates seamlessly with your GPS so you can record, track, modify, view info on your GPS unit.

Your really talking about two components to get your desired results, a good GPS unit with mapping capabilities and topo/mapping software to integrate with your GPS and give you a visual representation of your efforts in the field. For it to work, as I think you want it to, you need to look at both pieces.

The products I've mentioned will definitely do all that and more, but combined they will set you back at least $500 give or take, when all is said and done.

I would venture a safe guess that you could accomplish your goal and come in under that priceline if you do your homework. If that amount of money is reasonably within your budget, I'd have absolutely no reservations about recommending the products I've mentioned.

My thoughts on GPS units, if you don't already have one, is buy up. Not too many people complain about having too many features but you know how it is when you buy something and later wished you went for a little something more. I have several Garmin products, hand-helds, car units, etc. and they all work perfectly and have never disappointed me on quality.

Johnny Cache

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/...O! Outdoor Recreation Software/?cid=135&tid=3

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a flier in today's snail mail from DeLorme. It's advertising their GPS package that includes, not only their digital map applications, but also an Earthmate GPS receiver. $340 for the whole package. I don't intend to buy it, but I mention it after seeing this post.

Last night, while researching a particular location I've been trying to pinpoint for a few years, I discovered a GeoCacheing Forum website. One of the members placed a "target" exactly in the area I'd been looking for. I copied down the Lat./Long. info he'd posted and there is a very LAAARRRGGGE difference between his GPS coordinates and the coordinates given by the TerraServer Topo Maps. I'm talking several miles. Now the big question. Why would there be such a big discrepancy between the two?? The degrees of Lat. and the degrees of Long. matched, but the Minutes and Seconds were where the differences were.

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
Shortstack said:
I got a flier in today's snail mail from DeLorme. It's advertising their GPS package that includes, not only their digital map applications, but also an Earthmate GPS receiver. $340 for the whole package. I don't intend to buy it, but I mention it after seeing this post.

Last night, while researching a particular location I've been trying to pinpoint for a few years, I discovered a GeoCacheing Forum website. One of the members placed a "target" exactly in the area I'd been looking for. I copied down the Lat./Long. info he'd posted and there is a very LAAARRRGGGE difference between his GPS coordinates and the coordinates given by the TerraServer Topo Maps. I'm talking several miles. Now the big question. Why would there be such a big discrepancy between the two?? The degrees of Lat. and the degrees of Long. matched, but the Minutes and Seconds were where the differences were.

They are probably using different map datums. You will need to convert one to match the other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread