Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently pulled the moth balls from the Minelab SE Pro and am having trouble with the iron mask. I did a test with a silver half dollar and an old square nail placed on top of it. I was under the impression that iron mask would help to find that silver target under it. I even started off with almost no discrim on the iron mask feature and slowly worked my way up the scale to attemt to hear the coin. Any idea on how to make this feature or machine period to see past the nail and hear the coin?

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Minelab users have any input here? Looking for any ideas that may work!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do Explorers have two tone ferrous like eTracs do? If so maybe try putting it into TTF with an open screen and see if you can hear the coin separate from the iron.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with the SE but use a SOV GT. Yours should pick up any coin under the iron. Mine can pick up a clad dime under a railroad spike. Where is sens set? Sov GT.PNG

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweep very slow... and you will get two short different tones... and sweep from different angles...
Also try sweeping with the front edge of the coil bent down...

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I suspect you are trying too hard to hear this signal with settings and not trusting your brain for the "signal of silver under iron". The signal you will get is not always a "Beep" but rather a cricket sound or a flutey sound as if the signal is broken or a bad signal. The signal is usually an "iffy" poor signal not anything more! I would guess you are trying so hard and not getting the $1000 dollar lesson that Ron in California taught me in the field. I went from not finding silver under steel or iron to two silvers immediately after his simple trick of hearing silver normally passed by by good machines as trash. I can be reached to help you more with some simple changes to make you more successful. God bless! Ky. Ed

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect you are trying too hard to hear this signal with settings and not trusting your brain for the "signal of silver under iron". The signal you will get is not always a "Beep" but rather a cricket sound or a flutey sound as if the signal is broken or a bad signal. The signal is usually an "iffy" poor signal not anything more! I would guess you are trying so hard and not getting the $1000 dollar lesson that Ron in California taught me in the field. I went from not finding silver under steel or iron to two silvers immediately after his simple trick of hearing silver normally passed by by good machines as trash. I can be reached to help you more with some simple changes to make you more successful. God bless! Ky. Ed

I agree with KY Ed. You have to really tune your ear to hear the short whispers and the funky but high sounds that indicate a good target. Otherwise, I cannot answer you concerning the settings on the SE Pro.

On my CTX, I will first listen and then watch the readings. Sometimes the readings will just momentarily jump up, but sometimes they don't. If I think that there is any clue that there is something good there and the readings spike where I want them to, it almost always indicates something good is there with a large amount of iron mostly masking it. Big key is to getting a relatively good pinpoint and/or digging an over-sized plug if you cannot quit pinpoint it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread