What's new

Utensil handle?

batcap

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
684
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
It took a long time to make these pieces recognizable. They started out w/ heavy brown encrustation. They had a thick black patina after electrolysis. A few short acid baths later you have what you see below. I think it's the tip of a spoon handle. The first pic is for size reference. The 2nd pic is them doused in silver indicator. Green means 50% silver. It looks a little better in real life. They rang like a quarter on the Ace 250. Does anyone know this pattern or how old it may be?
 

Attachments

  • pic1r2.webp
    pic1r2.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 200
  • In solutionr2.webp
    In solutionr2.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 186
Correct .. fork or spoon handle..probably silver plate.. I have seen that design, but don't know the name. It is old is about all I can tell you.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Correct .. fork or spoon handle..probably silver plate.. I have seen that design, but don't know the name. It is old is about all I can tell you.

I'm confident it's not plate, but it sure isn't sterling either. Maybe a 40% or 50% silver alloy. I can see the edges where it's broken and it's the same metal throughout.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom