Utopia Gold Cache

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.genealogy.com/users/f/u/n/Mearah-R-Funk/FILE/0001text.txt

..........There are 165 - $20.00 new uncirculated gold coins, [ $3,300.00], that came from a train robbery . The train

robbery was done by S.W. Harper [your Great-Great Grandfather] and Bill Longley. All gold coins back then that were being shipped were new. They were from the mints to the banks, or cattle buyers, or railroads or who ever bought them from the mint. The old coins stayed in circulation because it was a growing country. What was shipped to the mints was raw processed gold from the gold fields and mines, which was further processed and minted at the various mints.

They were partners for a couple of years. The best date I have estimated is a mint date of around 1876-77. This was during the period that Bill Longley was an outcast from the State of Texas.

Longley was hung in 1878. He messed up too much in Texas, and was given a flyer out of Texas. In those days, a flyer meant to leave and not come back. On the other hand, S.W. Harper kept his criminal mischief away from Texas.

The $3,300.00 was 1/3 of the amount they stole. They took $3,300.00 each and buried the rest. Again, these are Newly Minted Uncirculated coins, so the actual worth of each coin is astronomical. Such coins are called Gems in the coin world. Somewhere between $15,000.00 and $100,000.00 per coin. Depending on the exact date and mint of the coins.

New [uincirculated] coins are graded by MS60 through MAS65. MS60 being the lowest grade of an uncirculated coin. For example, the listing in a coin book of an uncirculated coin for a MS60 grade may be $5,000.00. While the level of MS65 for the same dated coin [in pristine condition] may be five time that of the MS60 grade.

Harperā€™s coins would undoubtedly fall under the MS65 category. Or, at least quite a bit higher than the MS60 grade. I think coins of this grade are so rare that one will fail to find any classification in coin books.

Dad was 14 years old when S.W.Harper died. Great-granddad Harper was living with Dadā€™s family when he

died. Dad was his pet. He told Dad were the cache was. Grand-Grandfather Bybee also knew. Thatā€™s an entire

story into itself. None of the other children knew the location. Uncle Lawrence had a horse and was off chasing the pretty skirts. [another story]. Among the other children Father was the oldest by a few years. I think Uncle William Wesley Bybee had long flew the coop. I.e. Left home.

We have so many relative down their in Leakey and Utopia that a find of this nature would have been

practically impossible to keep a secret. No one down their has ever suddenly got rich over night except

Uncle Tom. Back in the fifties, Uncle Tom bought a new semi-truck and trailer, set up several cedar yards

and started hauling posts to Montana and Wyoming. Dad figured Tom might have found the gold S.W. Harper personally had when he died. It was at least a quart mason jar 1/3 full, because Aunt Isabel dug it up under the house when she happened on a freshly dug spot under the house. That old house is still standing and is built on pier and beams about two feet off the ground. Itā€™s exactly four miles west of Utopia and about 150 yards off the highway on the north side of the road.

S.W. Harper caught Aunt Isabel with the jar of coins and spanked her. He then gave her a silver dollar because

he felt bad about the deed. At supper that night, he took the silver dollar away from her and gave her a $20.00 gold piece, telling her that she was worth a lot more than a dollar. I know she still had it in 1957, because when

I was in the Marines and stationed at El Toro [near L.A.], I had thanksgiving dinner with her and her family and she showed it to me. So there were two separate catches of gold. Dad thinks Tom may have found the gold in the fruit jar under the house near Utopia. That may not be true thought, because none of the paper work ever surfaced. The paperwork was somewhere close by, Iā€™m thinking.

Grandmother Bybee [Alma Smith Bybee} sold the two parcels of land without title. I have a whole stack of

Legal papers from Great Uncle Sam Harper. [this may sound confusing] Iā€˜m talking about S.W. Harperā€™s son, who was a sister to Alma Smith Bybee, who was also a daughter to S.W. Harper]. S.W. Harper was a Smith, and Harper was the outlaw name he went by. He was a wanted man as S.W. Harper. In the Utopia cemetery,

there is a section there with a 6 inch wall around it that has maybe a dozen tombstones, and enough plots to

maybe bury another dozen or so. This is the in new cemetery. All the stones are white, off-while and different shades of gray. EXCEPT ONE, and that particular one is BLACK. [more of a dark charcol color] You guessed it, the black one reads S.W. Harper. Everyone in Utopia call tell you how theyā€™re related to S.W.Harper or the Bybees and everyone in Leakey can tell you how theyā€™re related to the Bybees. Anyway, Sam Harper also used the name Harper, just like his dad, S.W. Harper. Sam Harper, [your great-uncle], is buried here in Plainview, Texas. Father and mother took care of him during the sunset years of his life. Heck, I donā€™t even think the people in Utopia know that S.W. Harper was a Smith!!!

I met the Superintendent of the school down there in Utopia and he was a Harper. When he found out I was S.W. Harperā€™s great-grandson, he went to great lengthā€™s to show me how he was related to S.W. Harper. <smile>

Anyway, under Texas law, Grandma Alma [Smith] Bybee didnā€™t have the right to sell the kids share of

S.W. Harperā€™s property. Nor did she have the right to sell Sam Harperā€™s Ā½ share, which she did. By Texas law, the surviving spouse gets Ā½ of the estate and the surviving children divide the remainder. In this case, Sam Harper should have gotten Ā½ and the other Ā½ going to grandmother and the kids. She was entitled to Ā½ of Ā½ and the other Ā½ of her Ā½ going to her kids. Think that one out. <smile>

Seems as how the six sections in the Houston were worthless because it covered with all this stinking black stuff called OIL. So Standard Oil wound up with it and like good citizens, proceeded to clean up all that oil and haul it away. Evidently, the property ownership was seen as questionable by Standard Oil, because all the children of Alma [Smith] Bybee were contacted and paid $100.00 each to sign a quit claim. All except Udora and Jack Bybee. Udora held out for two hundreds dollars and got it, and Jack Bybee [my Dad] refused to sign. Sam Harper was off somewhere building sawmills, making his millions and enjoying them. He said he never signed a quit claim either. Donā€™t know about your mother. In his later years, Sam Harper pursued the matter and I wound up with all the paper work. He said each lawyer he approached would just flip over the prospect of suing Standard Oil. Then, in a short while, they would become negative. Great Uncle Sam told Dad that he thought Standard Oil was buying off the lawyers as fast as he could find them. That is probably true. They all sleep together, thatā€™s for sure.

I never heard from Dad if Aunt Myrtle signed away her rights or not.

I asked Uncle Tom in 1975, and he said he never found the outlaw gold. He said, hell, itā€™s probably been washed away by now. Well, that told me had no idea where it was located, because it wasnā€™t cached anywhere near any water courses.

I know that Uncle Tom and Aunt Udora both attempted to find it on several occasions, because I was home when they would come by and try to get Dad to tell them where it was located. He would just tell them that he was sure it was there if someone hadnā€™t found it. Tom came by 3 times and Udora came by twice. Udora came all the way from California to find out from Dad. [another story]

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Hello Gypsy - Just now reading your interesting post. I live in Uvalde, 40 miles south of Leakey, and have always heard of Tom Bybee, though never met him that I can remember. Bill Longley was a relative of a friend of mine, I rmember, but I haven't seen that buddy in a few. Do u live anywhere close by? I have lots of info from this area. Small world. Best of luck, MB

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
Greg - there anre numerous old mine shafts around here. Myself and a geologist friend have taken samples from many of them and although there are many notable elements in the samples, none are worth a full scale mining ioperation at this point. There are a couple of interesting mines up in Real county. One in particular 2 boys found while just cutting cross country one day. They found two stacks of silver bars, counted a hundred and sixty - some odd in one stack, then quit counting. Also in the room was an old chest or trunk, and they remembered some tools of sort standing against the wall. You know, shovels or something like that. A friend that knew the eldest boy and I have looked for years for that one. We think a landowner covered it up, because of the danger it posed to livestock some years back. Another interesting story is the "Silver ledge up on the Frio" that Dobie wrote about. My brother in law was told by a friend that a man who lived on the ranch showed it to him one day. Said he took out his pocketknife and cut around a large adobe brick inthe wall of the river bank, and removed it and told him to look inside. Seems like a vein of pure silver was in there. Those are the only two that I was ever interested in. I do not chase ghosts, but these I knew principals, and could actually document proof of existance at one time. Remember, in Texas, everything is on private property, and it is nearly impossible to get permission to hunt for anything. A biggie is over in Mexico, and I have spent 30 years on it, however just when I finally get a piece of equipment that might find it, the drug lords take over the ranch and I am advised by all to stay away. Now normally that would just pose a challenge to me and make me want to go that much more, but maybe my years are bring some good sense. I have already spent too much time in a mexican jail on that one to go back until the smugglers move on. My time will come. Thanks for your interest, Greg. I could talk forever about my adventures around here, but alas, I still have a job..............See ya

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for your response and yes the frio river is exactly what I was hoping to hear, didn't think I was chasing a bum steer. I have a little info on this mine and actually any body who is good at research can find the info that I have

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread