V3 AND 15X12 SEF COIL

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
I have a $10,000 question for everyone. I have been doing this hobby for over 30 yrs and have something here that has me stumped. I have called Whites and they said back disc or sens down, Kelly co for the SEF and still don't have an answer. First I have 2 v3's. One has the Whites 12 in super coil, wife's machine, and mine has the 12x15 sef coil. On mine with the SEF after ground balancing depending on temperature I will get a ground probe rejection of around 5.5 - 6.5. As I hunt with autotrac on I notice it climbs up sometimes to 20 which is no good . Mainly happens as the temperature gets hotter outside. As the temp drops a little so does the probe reading. I have had my SEF replaced 3 times and still am having this issue. Tried backing sens down, changing filters but no dice. Affected by the outside temperature. Tried it on the other V3 and the same thing, but the whites 12 in coil doesn't make the ground probe that high. I might be between 1 - 5% which is great. Curious for input. Thanks

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Well since no one has replied to my question, I decided to do some intense trouble shooting. Without re capping what I wrote above I have figured out the problem. It wasn't the V3I, or the coil so to speak, not even the ground or EMI. After applying some basic physics and a little trial and error completing 2 separate tests, urika I did find the solution. Funny thing is that I'm sure a lot of other people are having a similar problem and the dealers and coil manufactures aren't giving the correct solution because they didn't know. I have contacted White's since my discovery along with SEF and both agree on my findings. Oh well enough said, I guess when you want something done you have to do it yourself. HHUNTING!!

Attachments

• Thumbs UP.jpg
    Thumbs UP.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 556
  • Thumbs UP.jpg
    Thumbs UP.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 487

BridgeHunter

Jul 5, 2011
Uriah, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher Quicksilver Pro , White Spectra V3i
Hi
Have you tried White's Forum site? Go to white's web site support/user forum and ask Deolslyfox or Robert.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I haven't run coils that big but for those that do it would be nice to post your findings. :thumbsup:

I do run a non White's coil (5" Excellerator) and I can get Rx to 15 and Disc to 95 with no problem. Can even turn TX Boost on. The aftermarket coils are getting better and better with their tolerances it seems.

EMS

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My primary coil is the 10x12 SEF coil for my MXT PRO. It is amazing how well it separates for such a larger coil and I have hunted in some pretty trashy areas with no problems. I have one spot in a small park that I have pounded to death with my previous coils to the point of getting no targets at all. I went back with the SEF and found several wheats and silver. I truely believe in these SEF coils and I think more and more people are finding them to their liking as well.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
I cannot speak on the compatibility with the SEF coil and your MXT, but I do know for a fact now that the SEF coils ARE NOT V RATED ON THE SPECTRA SERIES. After speaking to Kelly Co.'s liaison that deals directly with SEF in Bulgaria I disclosed my findings and faults with the 12x15 coil on the V3I. I have the luxury of having 2 of these machines and preformed the tests on both machines with the same results. Moving on, I was then sent emails from SEF stating and verifying that the coils indeed is not matched to the V series. I shared my information that I found and test results with them. They in turn informed me that they will be in the process of upgrading the SEF to be V rated for the V3. Also informed me that they would ship me the v rated coil in a couple weeks. After 6 weeks the emails stopped on their end and no coil. After contacting Kelly Co. again they said they would try to contact them but never received an answer as to when . Granted Kelly Co. offered my money back since this would be the 4Th SEF coil I would have to ship back at the tune of $16.43 out of my pocket times 4 . I guess the real issue here is that Kelly Co. continues to this day selling the SEF saying it's V rated knowing that it isn't. So in essence I have contacted the AG office and BBB in Florida and have submitted all my findings to both offices. I am fortunate to have 4 attorneys on staff full time with my company so the legalities have been sorted out correctly. Bottom line is we are only talking about $189.99 for the coil and I have already paid 3 shipped coils back at a total of $49.29. Yet this company continues to sell a product that isn't what it states it is. Imagine the revenue that would be lost having to ship all the bad non-V rated coils back to Bulgaria yet they continue to ship the same bad ones to Kelly Co. and they continue to sell them. I have all the documentation to verify what I have written here from SEF and Kelly Co. I will tell you this the AG office and the BBB are on top of this through my attorneys and are going to persue this issue. It makes it rather easy since Kelly Co. is the only company in the US that sells these coils. I wonder how many they have sold to people that they will eventually have to refund their money for selling an item that can damage a high dollar machine.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OUCH!!!! That does not sound good. I ordered my machine and coil from Kellyco and I had no problems. That just is not right to advertise a coil that will not work for you. I hope that everything gets resolved for you.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
OUCH!!!! That does not sound good. I ordered my machine and coil from Kellyco and I had no problems. That just is not right to advertise a coil that will not work for you. I hope that everything gets resolved for you.

yeah I think that the point of it all... someone should be responsible enough to take off the V3 from their advertising specs.
I bet there is laws against false advertising...

Chukers

CyberSage

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra Vision - Whites DFX - Whites MXT
Could you provide a link to where Kellyco specifically states where the SEF coils are V-Rated? I can't seem to find it...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the coil will work on the V3i, but it doesn't say anything about being V rated so your not going to get the most out of it. If they did tell you it was V rated after asking them the person you talked to might not be informed as to exactly what that means. The better way would have been to go to the SEF site and look for yourself, in my opinion this is the better way instead of taking someones word for it that might not be aware of what V rated exactly means.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
On Kelly Co.'s site all it states is the coil is for the V3. Nothing about V rated. Let's be realistic, if you go out and buy a new GM car or truck are you going to ask if it has a GM engine in it or does it have a Ford engine it. Of course not, the coil as well as the auto is new and they even state it's for the V3.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but when White's came out with the V3 not all coils that would work on it was V rated yet, of coarse that came in very short order, but you still needed to ask White's for a V rated coil when ordering to insure that you got a new stock V rated coil. Even now if you bought one from a dealer it would be a good thing to ask to make sure you don't get a non-V rated coil as they could have some old stock, though by now they are probably all newer V rated coils.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
This has nothing to do with White's factory V rated coils. I have over 11 different types of coils for both my V3'S, Minelab GPX 5000's, and even 2 different coils for my Excaliber II. The point is that Kelly Co. states that the 15X12 SEF coil is designed for the V series. I have proof from the factory in Bulgaria that in fact they admitted the coil isn't tuned for the V series. Yet Kelly Co. continues to sell this coil on their site and continue stating in their ad it is for the V series. No matter how you dice it up, that constitutes fraud and deception. I have been treasure hunting over 30 yrs so this isn't my first rodeo. The main reason I am pursuing this isn't for my refund on my SEF coil, which by the way I have already sent 3 of them back just to get a replacement of the same that wasn't tuned for my machine, but to expose the fraudulent and covertness of a company that knows for a fact that they are selling an item through false advertisement.

OP
OP
KEVTEC

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Here is another instance with Kelly Co. last year in June. I bought my Excaliber II from the salesman Tony. Didn't have any issues with that transaction except it was on back order and I ordered it in the winter so no big deal. After sending back my SEF coil the second time I dealt with Tony. I informed him I had a private hunt I was going on in CT which is 600 miles from me. He had the coil I had sent back for over 3 months and said it was on back order. I knew Tony had an Excal also and I was in the process of getting my patent on new knobs for the Excal that I designed in one of my machine shops. He would never call me in regards to the status of the SEF I had sent back, therefore I would call approx every 3-5 days for the status on it. He knew I had already paid for my trip as I already explained this to him and I understand that he has no control on the receiving of the shipped coils from Bulgaria. So I thought I would give him a little incentive to maybe call and see when the shipment was expected. Therefore I asked him if he would try and call the company and try to get a date so I could have the SEF for my treasure hunting trip and I would send him for free a set of my new knobs which hadn't even been released to the public yet. He said that would be great and he would get on the issue the next day. I sent the knobs and about a week later still no coil. I then asked him who I needed to speak to at his company about sending a set of knobs for display on an Excal in their showroom. He replied that he would set this up and go ahead and ship another set of 5 knobs there. I did this so there were 2 sets of knobs that I sell for $59.00 a set which you can see here on this forum under Minelab. The time was approaching very quickly for my trip to CT so I called a week before I was to leave and he stated that the coil wasn't in yet. When I asked about the second set of knobs I had sent and what the status on them were he was kind of vague in his responce as to what they were going to do with them. Therefore I called the manager which was in a meeting so I left a message for him to return my call and he did so the next day. When I asked him about the second set of knobs I sent there for display purposes he said he was unaware of any such thing, and had me to explain exactly what had happened. After explaining the whole ordeal from the time I sent Tony a set of knobs to give him a little bump in the direction to find out the status of my SEF all the way to me sending the second set. He informed me that he would look into the matter with the knobs and call me in a cpl days. When he called me back he informed me that Tony in fact had the first set of knobs on his machine, but the second set I sent for display purposes, he stated that Tony was trying to sell them to Wanda that works there also who owns an Excal II. It's rather obvious as to why I never heard back from the company pertaining to the second set of knobs as Tony was trying to sell them instead of displaying them. After it was all said and done, the manager informed me that they fired Tony, and I told him that isn't what I was looking for, all I wanted was my coil and to have a set of the knobs on display. He informed me that there had been numerous complaints against him in the past so he decided to terminate him. With these dealings I have had with this company in the past rest assured that I will not buy ANYTHING from them again. Not long after that I bought my wife and I a pair of Minelab GPX 5000's but it wasn't from Kelly Co. I know this is rather long but as you can see I have had anything but a good experience with this company and I have also found numerous dealers that actually sell for less than Kelly Co. Their price match logo didn't fly because they said they couldn't match the price I bought both units for new. The trinkets they offer and state that are worth 5-800 dollars are just that, trinkets. I know I am finished with them and will never buy from them again!!!

KIM OLI

Jul 14, 2011
Sorry to read all this - loss of money and time. As I see other have bad experiences with SEF coils for V3 too :( Not only in USA. Did you saw these vid:

[youtube=425,350]FW185K5Iv6Y[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]KHibgX6Yg_c[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]A6mfZcqd8fU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]azF_tPM4SEE[/youtube]

multimix

Jul 9, 2012
Jelgava
Detector(s) used
Whites Vx3 , fisher pinpoint
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry if I mist something in previous posts, but is this thread about 15x12 sef coil which is advertised to work with spectras, mxt, dfx etc.... and is black, or about the white one which is advertised to work only on Vx3 and V3i.

frank1fm

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you fix the problem with the SEF coil/

Well since no one has replied to my question, I decided to do some intense trouble shooting. Without re capping what I wrote above I have figured out the problem. It wasn't the V3I, or the coil so to speak, not even the ground or EMI. After applying some basic physics and a little trial and error completing 2 separate tests, urika I did find the solution. Funny thing is that I'm sure a lot of other people are having a similar problem and the dealers and coil manufactures aren't giving the correct solution because they didn't know. I have contacted White's since my discovery along with SEF and both agree on my findings. Oh well enough said, I guess when you want something done you have to do it yourself. HHUNTING!!
Hi:I'm in the same situation you were in.What exactly did you do to fix the problem?

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow sorry to hear about your bad luck ! It seems to ring out a warning for the rest of us here. Especially when dealing with sef coils !
Hope it all turns out for the best !
Good luck to you all ..
P

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEVTEC, I too would love to hear how you solved the problem!

I just bought the 15" butterfly from S.E.F. for my V3i, and the box does have a small white label that states "for V3/V3i", however I do not know if that was placed by the manufactuer or Kellyco. This model is black, and has a serial number of 44410.

Does anyone know if these have now been properly designed for a "V" rating?

mypenneys

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Newburgh Ny
Detector(s) used
Whites DI 6000 Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a 15 by 12 Detech SEF Coil and on my invoice from KELLYCO it says
Item 134-15x12WV Description 15x12 SEF Butterfly Search Coil Whites V rated
for Vx3,V3I,DFX,MXT and M6 My SEF Coil Serial Number is newer than that last post
my number is 53189. Bin Number 3L12(20) Location White Springs Warehouse.
Date of Purchase was 3/22/2013 and the color of mine is WHITE that is what I had asked for.
So far I have cleaned out all the areas I hunt with the Whites DD 10 Inch Coil and really have
not found many new targets with this new Butterfly Coil used it yesterday and today. Yesterday
I found 2 quarters and one dime. The quarters I did see the day before but did not dig them up
with the Whites Stock Coil. So I dug these up the next day with the new butterfly. While I think
it does a good job on separation and pinpointing. I have yet to find anything deep. The deepest
quarter was 4 inches down the other quarter was 1 3/4 down and the dime was laying on top of
the ground. Now on setting up the Search Coil in the Whites menu I used the 12 Super Coil but
I am not sure which one to use so I tried the Eclipse to the left of the DD 10 Coil. So far I am not
impressed with the depth lots of trash in the parks and one side of the park has that crappy black
dirt which will give me lots of false targets. Just the sheer size of the target you no it cant be a coin. Also don't waste your money going bigger the 15x12 is manageable but the 18x15 in my opinion is way to big and heavy to handle.
Also I do not believe you can damage the detector unless you have a shorted coil. Coils have to be high
impedance to achieve a good sharp null so not sure of the Whites Coil settings having much of an effect
other than depth reading. I could be wrong but I worked as a Electronic Technician for 40 plus years.
Any questions email me on my website MYPENNEYS.com Frank Giammattei

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread