V3i and gold rings

digginintn

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Just got the V3i last month after swinging a DFX for almost 6 years. Was doing some air testing on different targets to get use to the frequency dominance on pinpointing. I thought gold would always be more dominant at 22.5 khz, but not so.
I tested two 10k and two 14k rings. The 10k were dominant at 22.5 khz, but the 14k were both dominant at 7.5 khz. Every time, including on the analyze feature. Is this normal?
The 14k rings are a bit larger. Is that where the difference lies?
Any comments welcomed.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a V3i and I have only found a few gold items. However I believe the 22.5 was the dominate frequency on the few items that I found.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got the V3i last month after swinging a DFX for almost 6 years. Was doing some air testing on different targets to get use to the frequency dominance on pinpointing. I thought gold would always be more dominant at 22.5 khz, but not so.
I tested two 10k and two 14k rings. The 10k were dominant at 22.5 khz, but the 14k were both dominant at 7.5 khz. Every time, including on the analyze feature. Is this normal?
The 14k rings are a bit larger. Is that where the difference lies?
Any comments welcomed.

You got it right diggin. I thought the same thing myself until I hit large gold rings, they hit dominant at 7.5 every time. Try a class ring for kicks. The smaller bands come in at 22.5. I was surprised to see this too when I started. A class ring and a stinkin lincoln will analyze real close to the same thing.

OP
OP
D

digginintn

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for the imput guys. The weather here hasn't let me get out for much real use time, so I've been doing a lot of testing indoors. Wasn't sure if the readings were accurate or maybe something inside was throwing things off.
18 degrees outside now with low tonight around 3 degrees. Looks like a few more days of reading instead of hunting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello digginintn,

Interesting findings, so I did my own test with dug items and the V3i.

1. Gold 10k men’s ring – 7.5k dominate freq.
2. Gold men’s ring – 7.5k dominate freq.
3. Gold locket – 22.5k dominate freq.
4. Gold bracelet – 22.5k dominate freq.

Perhaps 1 & 2 are due to their metallic make-up other than gold is responsible. Anyway, too cold to detect, so this is the next best thing!

Regards,

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two 14k rings with my vx3 and they both rang in with zincolns.

OP
OP
D

digginintn

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Seems like I'll still be digging a lot of junk to get the gold. Not really surprised, was just hoping the V3i would narrow it down more. The 14k rings that I've found were with my DFX, all hit with VDI's in the 40's. None are really big rings, around 8-10 grams, but one has 8 small diamonds. The 10k rings all hit like foil or nickels.
No matter. I'll keep on diggin!

SilverSeeker60

Greenie
Jan 2, 2015
Columbus, GA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's Eagle II SL, White's 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin...I believe the reason you see the difference in the dominate frequencies is because class rings and wedding bands are usually not 24k gold. Depending on what other metals are mixed with the gold to achieve the 10k or 14k state, make all the difference in the signal displayed on the polar plot or pinpoint.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggin...I believe the reason you see the difference in the dominate frequencies is because class rings and wedding bands are usually not 24k gold. Depending on what other metals are mixed with the gold to achieve the 10k or 14k state, make all the difference in the signal displayed on the polar plot or pinpoint.

Any small bands that are 10k or 14k hit with 22.5 dominant also. It seems to be more a size thing than a carat count on the dominance. The most important thing to remember is that if its a solid signal in the gold range your going to have to dig it to find it. As soon as you think you have something figured out, the next guys going to be digging your gold.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
DOH! as Homer Simpson would say. There's no counting I could do on the number of signals not being dominent at 22.5 over 4yrs of hunting that I've passed up. The V3i with it's analytical and colorful displays, can actually be misleading. I doubt that I would dig all of those non-22.5 dominant signals if able to do it all over again but this thread should be good for anyone assuming that the V3i has little discrepancies. How many gold rings would I have found in 4 years had I used an M6? How many with an F2? etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digginintn

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
I just wish the weather here would give me a couple of days to get out and dig. I've always dug any signal that could be a ring, and will continue to do so. Have filled many a pouch with pulltabs! It took many hours of hunting and reading to get the hang of the DFX. I expect no less with the V3i.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all wonder if we would have been using one of our other detectors when you hit on something that don't ring up the way you think it should and then think back about what you may have missed. In reality we all know the better we know our detectors the more we will have gut feeling what we dig.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My philosophy has always been dig everything that could be gold! I do dig a lot of plugs and find pull tabs, foil...etc, but I also find lots of jewelry. On the beach, I dig everything it's easy in the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread