V3i / Vx3 owners who also own or have used a deus - Help!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a 3vi with the eclipse 9 or 10 eliptical and the standard dd 10 round.

I am a rounded hunter and hunt modern coins and jewelry in parks, tot lots, sports fields, relics and old coins in Farm fields, woods, homesites, and even the occasional beach hunt. I hunt clean areas and trashy areas. Areas with high Mineralization and areas with moderate Mineralization.

I have hundreds of hours on my deus and use various programs depending on what I'm looking for. What I've settled on that suits me well for modern parks and jewelry is
React 2
Silencer 1
Gb fixed 86
Audio response 4
Sensitivity 83
18khz
2 discrim
0-40 notch

This program is quick, provides loads of audio subtleties that allow me to quickly scan and search and pick out good targets using the deus' uncanny audio abilities. The round confident tone for good targets, subtleties in distortion on can slaw and foil targets and an ability to tell depth based on the strength of the response. However as with anything audio is not foolproof and only gets you so far.

I was hoping for a companion for the deus particularly in those fields with lots of slaw and foil to help better distinguishing gold jewelry from the junk. It's the bane of all detectorists, I know, however I am hoping for some more information on targets with lower conductivity. Anything to make a more informed decision on whether to dig or not to dig. Something after reading and reading and watching and watching everything available on the v3i, I am confident that it provides.

I spent 2 hours with my deus yesterday at a school field, maybe 15 years old, heavily used by the community as well. I walked around, got a feel for the ground, composition, trash density, and targets. Dug my share of nickels, quarters, dimes and pennys, tabs foil, and slaw.

Once I had a handle on the ground, I switched over to the v3i. My first time using it. I put it in factory coin and jewelry mode, changed audio to standard instead of shifted, reduced the sensitivity 10 points, reduced the gain a few points, turned modulation to 6, and started hunting.

Right away the machine felt delayed, clunky, and as if it lacked audio feedback that the deus does. Just a very dry digital tone with little or no subtleties. I felt like I had to swing this thing 4 times slower than the deus and take 4 times longer hovering over a target to get good vdis, analyze the info the detector was providing for me, and take 4 times longer to Pinpoint my targets. Trash density in the park is relatively low.

Those who have used the deus, where do you find the v3i excels? Are my expectations to use it as a gold hunter too high? How can I get this thing to have responses in audio and speed closer to that of the deus? How do you Pinpoint? Any hopes of doing the wiggle off method with the v3i as accurately as can be done with the deus? Polar plot or analyze?

Any help in getting this thing tailored for jewelry 6 inches deep and less, heck even 5 inches and less would be extremely appreciated. I want to be able to use my brain and ears as the first step in discrimination and only look down at the screen when I have a target that seems to deserve a second look.

I know, a few hours with the v3i is hardly enough time to get acquainted with a detector of this complexity. I am very capable and knowledgeable with using a multitude of other detectors and am looking for some guidance from the v3i pros.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own either but do have a DFX which is what was before the V series. I also don't use single tone.. Multi tone and visual indicators is how most folks use the whites machines. The V series is complicated and take a lot or reading and playing to learn it. With the DFX I use tone ID on. This gives a different tone for every VID you know the good tones when you get used to it, the you look at the display for the other data to decide if you dig or not. with tone id on you will get different tones if the target is not a single VDI number.. so there is tone info.. The V has a lot of other info on the screens and you are going to have to considerable reading and playing to get the hang of it. If it seem like the audio is delayed I believe you may need to adjust the delay setting as it is what controls the recover.. higher is slow lower is faster in the V if I recall correctly. I would suggest you register for Whites forum there is a V3 forum which has the most info on the unit put together by many owners. Good luck and put on the patients hat!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
We’re very similar in our metal detecting sites and searches it seems.

To start, I’m going to just throw out my favorite incarnation of my general jewelry program for you to try. It’s intended to be very stable and provide excellent ID above the 6” depth. It’s not a beginner program because nothing much is discriminated out or toned out. It also speaks two distinct and separate languages simultaneously, so the onslaught of audio in a trashy park might not suit your tastes, but if one can stick with it and can adapt and learn both languages you’ll probably find it’s a handicap to hunt another way. Again, this “program” is just a starting point for my park jewelry hunts in my area.

Here are my current V3i jewelry hunting base settings for parks. You need to learn two distinct languages chattering at the same time. You’re job is to interpret it all to formulate an informed dig/no dig decision.

Beginning with the factory Coin and Jewelry program stock V3i 10" D2 coil-

Program Name: Pirate Hunter
Discrimination:
Bottle Cap Reject = 2
Hot Rock = off
VDI Select By: VDI with -88 to +95 accepted
Sensitivity:
RX Gain = 5 (start here and up or down as desired)
Tx Boost off
Discrimination = 80 (increase for better depth on earring studs)
All Metal =70 (generally kept within 10 to 15 points lower than discrimination value above)
Audio:
VDI Tones = Custom (I’m not tellin…lol) -95 to -15 gets the same tone value, or a value of 0, whatever you like.
Search Audio = Stereo Mixed
Threshold on. Tone ID on. Modulation on.
Range = 3
VCO = on
Pinpoint Audio = VCO on
Frequency:
Frequency = 3 frequency (it's the only way to use the powerful correlate settings)
Correlate = span limit 15, wrap limit -94 (this is considered a tight span loosen it up for more trash and more chains)
Frequency offset = 0
Ground Tracking:
Ground Tracking = Locktrac. Offset = +2 (for stability in target response)
Soil Type Normal
Filter and Speed:

Search = Ground Filter 10hz, Recovery Delay 40, S.A.T. 15 (higher filters allow faster sweep but not as deep)
Analysis = Ground Filter 5.0hz, Recovery Delay 40, S.A.T. 15
Configure:
Live Search Screen – Search: Spectragraph Intensity BaseThreshold 70, Fade, Fade rate 5, Resolution 1, Compressed On, Multigraph On, Color by Icon ranges.
Analysis: Polar plot: Resolution 1, Mark target on.

Hope I didn't overlook a setting somewhere. My theme is heavily customized and irrelevant so I excluded all that.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wish the DFX had stereo mixed mode :BangHead:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Right away the machine felt delayed, clunky, and as if it lacked audio feedback that the deus does. Just a very dry digital tone with little or no subtleties. I felt like I had to swing this thing 4 times slower than the deus and take 4 times longer hovering over a target to get good vdis, analyze the info the detector was providing for me, and take 4 times longer to Pinpoint my targets. Trash density in the park is relatively low.

LOL. Yeah, it's different. There are indicators and they are not subtle like the Deus - the indicators are other distinct tones. Aluminum slaw will give what I've seen called "bouncy tones". A ring will generally give one tone, perhaps two in quick succession depending on angle in the ground, broken, etc. The tone might fluctuate slightly up or down one or two VDI but usually remains just a solid single tone. It takes time to adjust I imagine.

Those who have used the deus, where do you find the v3i excels?

For identifying trash the V3i is superb!

Are my expectations to use it as a gold hunter too high?

Not at all. Is your dedication to maximizing the features for jewelry hunting as high as those expectations? That will help.

How can I get this thing to have responses in audio and speed closer to that of the deus?

Stereo Mixed mode + filter + recovery delay +coil size. You can swing the V3i pretty fast but it's never going to be useful to swing it as fast as most users swing their Deus. Slow down and relax, it's not a race. Same goes for most Deus users I laugh at on You Tube - slow the :censored: down fools! You're missing good things.

How do you Pinpoint? Any hopes of doing the wiggle off method with the v3i as accurately as can be done with the deus?

Same as with any DD coil. I use 3 different methods depending on my requirements. Pinoint switch is a "3x"3 detection zone. Wiggling off the tip of the coil. Sweeping 90 degrees and "X"ing the target. They all work well. Pinpoint switch is fastest for me while hunting 6" or less.

Polar plot or analyze?

I don't understand the question.

Any help in getting this thing tailored for jewelry 6 inches deep and less, heck even 5 inches and less would be extremely appreciated. I want to be able to use my brain and ears as the first step in discrimination and only look down at the screen when I have a target that seems to deserve a second look.

Start with the settings in my post above. Turn off Mixed Mode if it becomes too much.

I hope this does help. :occasion14:

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome deft! So why mixed stereo? What benefit does it provide in a park with modern trash ?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome deft! So why mixed stereo? What benefit does it provide in a park with modern trash ?

In trashy parks it's your Deus matched for speed. So when the V3i hits on the discrimination channel and there is another closely located metal item you'll hear it even if the machine is still recovering in disc channel. Withe the V3i you will still get a VDI number with no tone in discrimination while recieving a signal from the AM. The AM audio will clue one to pay attention to the screen at times...to see what you can't clearly hear.

Sizing objects and shaping them, especially with a concentric, is more accurate.

It's almost like running two machines at once. Better edge detection from the AM channel and sweep does not have to be so precise on difficult targets. One can hunt somewhat faster and sloppier without missing signals.

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man your a wealth of information particularly from a fellow deus user who knows where I'm coming from.

Why polar plot over sizing?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why polar plot over sizing?

That's a more complicated question. The short answer is that the polar plot has proven very usefull pulling great targets from tightly co-located modern trash. And in those situations it's not about sizing anything, it's sifting through signals looking for the right combinations of data to present itself and noting the patterns. That power belongs to the Spectragraph.

Polar plot is also a great learning tool. Since I size with the coil I just started with the polar plot and stuck with it. Made more sense to me at the time.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, when comparing to Deus that factory program (and mine) are running 3 frequencies. Drop to single frequency 22 khz for snappier performance.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Something cool to do is flip the tones so that low conductors have a high tone and high conductors get the low tones. :icon_thumleft:

Pain to set up, but you only have to do it once. Then while hunting gold don't forget your head and start skipping high tones! Done that before.

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that got me started on a good path. The machine is much more stable and responsive now. Depth is somewhat sad when compared to the deus even on reactivity 2 or 3, however, the wealth of target info and ability of correlate span limits to knock out iron and knarly shaped can slaw is great! I'm getting pennies and dimes at 5" easy. There's thousands of good targets so depth isn't an issue. I can always clear out the top ones then modify the settings and go deep. Or bring the Explorer se in and clean up the deep silver that's left. Thanks for the point in the right direction deft

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to get dimes at 10"+ all day long with the V3i and should find a few at a full 12", I've detected with a guy who was a V3i tester and knows the V3i better than anyone else I've seen swinging one. If you go to the White's website forum the program he uses is called magic's program I believe, you'll have to make a few adjustments to tailor it to your ground though if your not in Indiana anyway. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread