Vacation in the Berkshires

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Last week my wife and I took a vacation without kids in the Berkshires (Western Massachusetts Mountains). It was the first time in 20 years to take a “vacation” without the kids. It was great and I made some good finds.

The way it went is that I would get up have breakfast and then go detecting while the wife did her thing (women take a lot longer in the morning to get prepared for the day). So I basically had about an hour or two each morning to detect.

So the first time out I just started driving around. Saw a park next to an old library. Parked and started detecting. Dug a couple things and the batteries died. :P A sure sign to move on. So again driving around I randomly take a turn. Houses are too new I am thinking. Make another turn toward the town square and pass another park – keep driving (too new). A little farther down the street the homes start getting older and then I come to a small park. I wasn’t that optimistic but I just wanted to detect for a little bit.

littlepark800.jpg

Not a lot of signals and the first signal I dig is a zinc penny. Not to encouraging. But then I started wandering away from the “newer” part of the park toward what looked like it could be undisturbed ground. Next signal is a little broken up but sounds good and is deep. Dig the plug and it’s still in the hole. As I am digging deeper I see a “flash” of silver. Always gets the adrenaline pumping. Find the coin and it turns out to be a merc. :)

Mercjustdug.jpg

Wow, I thought, that was too easy! Dig another close by signal and pull out a wheat penny. A signal or two later out pops another merc! :headbang: Then I get a nickel signal and think I should dig it. Out pops a silver nickel. Nice, I am thinking. Then comes more wheats, Buffalo nickels, another merc, etc. After 30-40 minutes I had a nice little assortment:

Day1.jpg

3 Mercs, 2 Buffalos, 1 War Nickel, 9 wheat pennies

I had to get back as the wife was going to be waiting to do some exploring. It struck me that obviously this was a virgin spot and there was sure to be more. How easy it is to make decent finds in virgin territory – even if the finds are deep.

While we were doing our “exploring” I was thinking that maybe no one in this small town had metal detectors or they didn’t use them much when we drove by the High School and saw two guys metal detecting it! :tongue3:

So the next day in an hour and 15 minutes I got very close to the same:

Day2800.jpg

Finds for the hour and some-
3 Mercs, 2 Buffalos, 1 War Nickel, 15 Wheats, 1 old key and 1 Catholic medal

The third visit I had to work harder and didn’t find any silver but managed two Indian Head Pennies. Did a little longer hunt of an hour and a half. Finds:

DUGcoinsday3.jpg

2 Indian Heads (1879, ??), 1 Buffalo, 7 Wheats, Some clad(2 dimes, 2 quarters & two pennies)

The fourth visit (no picture) I still managed some finds:
1 Indian Head, 1 War Nickel, 5 wheats & clad

I investigated a couple other spots that had potential but mostly due to lack of time didn’t find much. One site that looked good was next to this old farm.

oldfarmwithgraveyard-1.jpg

They were making it into a park and had already bulldozed a lot.

dozer.jpg

I found an old buckle and a deer slug at the site.

It’s too bad I didn’t have more time to detect. Everywhere you drive there are jawdropping old homes and towns. Drive through a town – established 1753, 1775, etc. Crazy because the first settlers in the area I live didn’t arrive until early 1800’s.
Here are the rest of the pictures:

Silvercoins.jpg

BuffaloNickels.jpg

threeIHs.jpg

The wheat pennies from this site were pretty crusty to say the least. When I got home Nate when through some of them and found another IH penny. There still might be more in the pile as I still haven’t cleaned them yet.

WHeats-1.jpg

Miscstuff.jpg

ScenicpicA-1.jpg

Bob

Upvote 0

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that's an awesome assortment of goodies Bob :thumbsup:
I always look forward to your posts and your great pics. Thanks for another great post buddy

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UTOPIA--- Bob you hit the mother load. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Great hunts my friend.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
WOW Bob!

You really racked em' up for the short time you were hunting! Great finds.

Come to think of it, I could use a small town vacation myself....AND a spot like that one....

:wink: :D

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
It sure is a great feeling to hunt a place for your first time and dig the oldies like you did.
That's a great assortment of finds, Bob! :thumbsup: Great pics too!!

Major Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time and nice finds! HH, Mike

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hit the older spot's and you'll get the older coin's......Good Eye Bob!!! :thumbsup: Still looking for the elusive Buff :wink:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Time alone without the kids AND great MD finds, JACKPOT!!! :thumbsup: I bet that park made your day once you scored that first Merc.
Congrats on all the old coins big guy.
That lake pictures looks great. I don't suppose you brought a fishing pole too. :wink:
Sounds like a fun time.
Next week I get the pleasure of driving 13 hours in one day to Northern Indiana with my family. Yes, WITH the kids. "Are we there yet?" :tongue3:
-Doug-

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob,
Um, listen, happy to have you come visit, but those coins are supposed to be mine! Congratulations, that's a nice little haul. There are actually quite a few detectorists around here, but as you probably noticed there is an awful lot of ground to cover. Which towns were you in? More importantly, where is that little park you found? It looks familiar to me but I can't place it....
Congrats once again, if you ever come back to the Berkshires look me up and I'll join you!
Steve

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bob, The park you were at used to be a Drive-In now named Bill Laston park in Lanesboro. The lake is Pontoosuc on Route 7 (I worked at Berkshire Fireplace across from the dam, It's owned by my Brother in law and sister). The old barn is near the entrance to Mt. Greylock State park....It's about a quarter mile from where I found the 1775 Counterfeit Irish half penny a couple weeks ago. Can't quite place the park but I think it's on a side street behind Lanesboro Market. Too bad you didn't have more time to explore the woods where the REAL OLD sites are! Glad you had a good stay. It's really a nice place to live. HOGGE

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on all the neat finds

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all.

Colonial KirkPA said:
Way to go, Bub! I bet you had a great time with the wife as well. :wink: :D

Have you and Dan detected together this year?

Kirk

Dan and I got out a little after work earlier in the week. His son is done with baseball for the summer so we should get in some hunts together now.

civilman1 said:
Hit the older spot's and you'll get the older coin's......Good Eye Bob!!! :thumbsup: Still looking for the elusive Buff :wink:

Joe, You just have to get out of those civil war sites. :wink:

Captn_SE said:
It sure is a great feeling to hunt a place for your first time and dig the oldies like you did.
That's a great assortment of finds, Bob! :thumbsup: Great pics too!!

Major Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan, I think this is a more common experience for you. 8)

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
Time alone without the kids AND great MD finds, JACKPOT!!! :thumbsup: I bet that park made your day once you scored that first Merc.
Congrats on all the old coins big guy.
That lake pictures looks great. I don't suppose you brought a fishing pole too. :wink:
Sounds like a fun time.
Next week I get the pleasure of driving 13 hours in one day to Northern Indiana with my family. Yes, WITH the kids. "Are we there yet?" :tongue3:
-Doug-

Doug - no fishing except in the dirt. We did rent a sailboat. 8)
13 hours is a long haul. You taking Suds?

Bob

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Great vacation!!! Those mercs all lined up in a row like that look AWESOME!!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread