vegetable garden find

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vegetable garden is going well this year. Got corn, beans, peppers, potatoes, and a few others all getting along just fine. Got a hand plow that does a good job of keeping the weeds down between the rows--added benefit is it has again helped produce a few items this year to boot. Most recent find is this scraper. My best guess is Coastal Chert due to the creamy white and pink tones, but I've never found anything made from this before.

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/lithics/coastal-chert/

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it isn't Bourne chert, which is much closer to you. Also, McAvoy made a very good case for a north to south movement of the Clovis people in Virginia, so that kind of fits. Another possible hint of paleo activity in your area. (I still think the jasper pieces you found are paleo).

It could also be Williamson/Cattail creek material, there is a lot of variation in that deposit, but movement to where you are for that material...I don't know, I would look at McAvoy's books and see what he says. I do know of a late paleo site in the Salisbury neighborhood of Northwest Chesterfield County that had Williamson chert tools.

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/lithics/bourne-chert/

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it isn't Bourne chert, which is much closer to you. Also, McAvoy made a very good case for a north to south movement of the Clovis people in Virginia, so that kind of fits. Another possible hint of paleo activity in your area. (I still think the jasper pieces you found are paleo).

It could also be Williamson/Cattail creek material, there is a lot of variation in that deposit, but movement to where you are for that material...I don't know, I would look at McAvoy's books and see what he says. I do know of a late paleo site in the Salisbury neighborhood of Northwest Chesterfield County that had Williamson chert tools.

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/lithics/bourne-chert/

Ha--I was reading McAvoy's theory concerning movement of material this morning and somewhat agree with what you're saying. Where I fall short is in my limited knowledge of the range of colors in these local varieties. For this to be Coastal Chert a more cyclical movement would make sense, although not far from the question. The Coastal Chert made most sense due to the white/pink coloration in addition to a very small portion of iron staining that is barely visible in the photo, which DHR does include in their description of Coastal Chert. Of course any NA artifact can be stained by the environment it is in, no matter the material--to your point. And Salisbury isn't too far from me. I do know of a few trans-paleo/paleo pieces that have been found very close to me--you've probably seen them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions