dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This pestle found 09/10/1989 is 4 7/8 inches tall, 3 1/2 inches at the widest point of the bell. The base is not circular, but more oval in appearance. The pestle exhibits multiple plow strikes on the handle surface, some old and some obviously newer. I say obviously since the newer strikes have a different appearance, being somewhat lighter in color where the surface patina was removed in the strike. The non-damaged surface exhibits very nice patina and mineralization. The base is also damaged from recent plow strikes. The dimple in the base is well formed, and smooth from use polish.

I have found many hoof style pestles, and many bell style pestles. This particular pestle is very well formed and symmetrical sans the oval base, best seen from holding the relic upside down.
DF89_PESTLE_3.jpg

This pestle comes from an area where I have found many hardstone relics, likely close to 50 over the years, this being the second pestle I found in the camp site.

The camp area comprises multiple parcels and farms, the concentration focused on a plot approximately 3 acres in size, with random finds and smaller camps up to 2 miles away from the concentration area. It was in one of these satellite camps I found this pestle. These were the days of mold board plowing, which brought up many relics to the surface. Now this field is chisel plowed every few years, and the finds have trickled down in number.
DF89_PESTLE_1.jpg

Darrell and I arrived at the field and the corn leaves were starting to drop, making it better to see not just the single crop row but one, possibly two, on each side of you as you searched the rows.

To search the corn, we had to wear long sleeve shirt to protect the arms from corn cuts, boots and long pants. I remember the temps being in the upper 80s and when you get into the corn the breeze you once felt before entering - you no longer feel. So, the temperature gets very hot, and you sweat a lot. As we walked into the field, you could feel the heat rise and you have to hold your arms up to help defect the corn. It was just after entering I spotted the pestle. It was laying on its side, one half virtually completely exposed. It must have been laying there for many weeks, potentially months exposed. But not many whackos walked in the corn field in that sort of humid heat.

We were making a line to the rise where we had found multiple relics the past fall, Thebes, Decatur's and the like. I found a nice pendant this day, but that's another post.

I don't advocate crop searching anymore due to the large amount of crop chemicals put down. It could lead to health issues and potentially an early demise. I worked then at the Farm Bureau crop chemical division and had spoken to many farmers about their practices. We felt ok walking in this field, this day, but the chemical issue is one that everyone today needs to be aware of.

I don't think the plow strike damage distracts from the overall symmetry and lines of this well-made pestle.
DF89_PESTLE_2.jpg

Upvote 8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread