Vertical shaft engine dredge water pump

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some many years ago I seen a small dredge (maybe a 2") with vertical shaft engine water pump setup. The engine was low enough in the dredge frame the water pump set in the water. This setup required no pump priming. This may have been a Keene. The dredge frame was supported by 2 inner tubes. Anyone know why this is not a common setup on todays small gold dredges??

Upvote 3
Keene made them, I have owned several. Early ones were on tubes then later they had square yellow floats. Extremely portable and easy to set up. Never saw one larger than a 2.5" but they may exist. There were no pump seals since the pump was underwater, it didn't really matter except for some loss in pressure. very low tech pump. On the first one I had I ditched the temperamental Briggs and swapped in a Honda from a lawn mower, worked well. The biggest drawback was when working shallow, the pump would suck rocks, which effectively meant you had to take the dredge apart and turn it upside down to clear it. I rigged some 3/16" punch plate on the bottom and that helped a lot but clearing leaves and debris was a frequent issue.

D1.jpg

I have a couple of those from some old Keene 3” dredges I bought years ago. They use lawn mower engines. They are difficult to attach air compressors to. I’ve always wondered about them as there is no friction or gravity to deal with from an intake hose/footvalve. And the friction must be minimal from pump to power jet as the hose is very short. Not a great setup for really shallow water.

Keene made them, I have owned several. Early ones were on tubes then later they had square yellow floats. Extremely portable and easy to set up. Never saw one larger than a 2.5" but they may exist. There were no pump seals since the pump was underwater, it didn't really matter except for some loss in pressure. very low tech pump. On the first one I had I ditched the temperamental Briggs and swapped in a Honda from a lawn mower, worked well. The biggest drawback was when working shallow, the pump would suck rocks, which effectively meant you had to take the dredge apart and turn it upside down to clear it. I rigged some 3/16" punch plate on the bottom and that helped a lot but clearing leaves and debris was a frequent issue.

View attachment 2106007
Great idea... will have to try it out. Might just work in the 10' plastic Penguin boat that I have. I'm always afraid that if the pump gets a bad leak or a hose gets loose, it wouldn't take but a minute to fill the boat. Beside that concern, less time spent priming the pump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back