Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey again folks...
About a year ago, I posted an old coin I have had since I was 13. I thought it was junk, basically a defaced coin until some informed me I had a "potty coin".
It is an 1863 half that was engraved into a semi-nude lady liberty and a chamber pot...
I searched and searched for like coins, and the only one I found similar was a trade dollar. It sold at Heritage Auctions for $750 in 2007... I think mine is worth more, as it is highly likely to be a Confederate coin, minted in New Orleans in 1863, and also actual currency instead of a trade dollar. It is a half-dollar also.
Anyone have a clue as to what it may be worth? Heritage Auctions wanted it, but have a very high limit on auctions, they need like $5k in coins before committing to sell.
Should I try a coin dealer, and if so, can someone point me to a fair, reputable one?

I can post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing it or making an offer..

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Very rare coin, value?

Pics. Please. Provided they are in good taste, of course. Maybe revise the title to reflect nude?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very rare coin, value?

Mackaydon said:
Here's a pic of the 2007 Heritage sale coin:
http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=427&lotNo=82178
Don....
PS: This one sold for $345.00 (includes BP). I don't know if it's the same coin you are referring to.
That one is not the same as I referenced, it was a trade dollar... But the one you posted is the same as mine, a half-dollar... Pics coming...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple pics of the coin... Sorry it took so long.. Not the best picture (too shaky) but it shows the coin pretty well, it actually looks better than the pic shows, nice patina..

And I was wrong on the date (duh!?), it is an 1861, not 1863 as I posted..

Here you go..

Attachments

• potty coin 1.jpg
    potty coin 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 381
  • potty coin 2.jpg
    potty coin 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 380

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It certainly has had a lot of work done on it, much more IMO than the first example. I'd say probably a $400 or more coin. Someone was pretty skilled to take out the pole and most of Liberty's lower half without destroying the reverse of the coin in the process. A labor of love?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread