Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some searching and only came up with this, antique gold anointing oil bottle. Trying to identify the other glass objects found at a 17th century Roman Catholic site. They are on top of small Native American flint shards.

Attachments

• anointing oil vial_spikenard.jpg
    anointing oil vial_spikenard.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-01.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    Arkie_finds_3-03.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 128
E

elle

Hi Red_ desert,
What a beautiful artifact! I believe your vial is of a date range from 1760-1850, and not of Hispanic origin. It was likely pharmaceutical, holding a medicine. Vials like those were carried by the fur traders and explorers who conquered the North American frontier. The military also had them as part of their official supplies. Many were given to Indian leaders as gifts for better relationships and to entice them to bring in better furs. Based on archaeological reports, is not uncommon to discover these containers within Indian burials and Native camps. Perhaps the area you speak of was once an occupied mission spot and then developed into a post with other purposes. I have researched the French occupation up through the Midwest quite thoroughly, but mostly that history of an earlier period, directly related to my 1715 Fleet study and writing. PM me, though, if you are interested in some of my references which should help give a better understanding to this intriguing find.
Laura J

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Laura J. The pic was emailed to me just the other day, from a person who is a member on the board, which manages some historic land with a museum on site. There was a couple other photos included of many Native American flint arrowheads and spear points, scrapers, etc.

A 17th century Roman Catholic village was located on this tract of land. Some of the other board members were pressuring the archaeologist/historian on the board to get out and do some metal detecting. I sent an email today, to see what the "Arkie" might know about it. The reason for posting in the Shipwreck board here, this is a quote from one of the emails I got recently with the pics.

"And, something I cannot even begin to describe. Its still in the ground but looks like a stone slab with what can only be described as (for lack of a better way to describe it)the points of 2 german helmets at each end that rise up about 6 inches from the slab."

Because I suspected maybe there could be a treasure, tried explaining treasure signs and markers, got this response.

"Interesting mention of bayous. This slab is in a "marshy/swampy" area between two cypress trees This is the only area of (name of state edited out) I've ever seen these trees. Just up a short way is the largest &'oldest buckeye tree I've ever seen. Easily 150 years old."

Obviously the vials are not from gold artifacts, thanks for answering my question, the shipwreck board is the only place I could have got the correct explanation of what they are, interesting find anyway.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red_ desert,
What a beautiful artifact! I believe your vial is of a date range from 1760-1850, and not of Hispanic origin. It was likely pharmaceutical, holding a medicine. Vials like those were carried by the fur traders and explorers who conquered the North American frontier. The military also had them as part of their official supplies. Many were given to Indian leaders as gifts for better relationships and to entice them to bring in better furs. Based on archaeological reports, is not uncommon to discover these containers within Indian burials and Native camps. Perhaps the area you speak of was once an occupied mission spot and then developed into a post with other purposes. I have researched the French occupation up through the Midwest quite thoroughly, but mostly that history of an earlier period, directly related to my 1715 Fleet study and writing. PM me, though, if you are interested in some of my references which should help give a better understanding to this intriguing find.
Laura J
Actually, I didn't dig it myself, but was a find made from one of my projects (do a little map dowsing) this one is for the "Archies". Not trying to start a debate here on whether or not dowsing works, just seeking identification on the find, thank you very much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread