TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are new finds from the Viking trading place that I discovered two years ago. :hello2:

From left in the upper row you see what could be a Roman Follis (3rd - 4th century), a Denar of Ludovicus (early 9th century), Two pieces of trading silver and a small polyedric weight (all Viking Age).
From left to right in the lower row: two viking age lead weights, two pieces of silver drops, one fragmented fibula.

Hope you enjoy the photo ! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Vikingefund.JPG
    Vikingefund.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,362
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, a typical holed Roman facing to the wearers feet again :icon_thumright:

Just reading about early saxon sites. mostly 6th C which used Roman Coins as weights, bear this one in mind for later :wink:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hammered of course is a star find :headbang:

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman coins as weights, that is completely new to me ! :o
Very interesting information, I´ll bear the in mind ! :icon_thumleft:

The coin however could relate to an earlier settlement on the site.
There are found some fibulae too, that date back to the Roman time.

:hello:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:

Yeah, the gap might be too big, for 9th C. But when we find holed Roman Coins they are associated with Saxon activity (Jewlery). Often with the face of the Emperor facing down - thought to be disrespectful to the Romans.

Roman Coins found in Saxon Graves with weighing scales that reflected the units of Gold Coins which circulated the Merovingian kingdoms were thought to be from sites of importance. Ones that traded on behalf of Kings. Trade in the early Saxon period was thought to be very limited and controlled by the elite. So these Roman Coins were thought to weight either Gold Coins or Bullion to the same units. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
TheDane said:

Yeah, the gap might be too big, for 9th C. But when we find holed Roman Coins they are associated with Saxon activity (Jewlery). Often with the face of the Emperor facing down - thought to be disrespectful to the Romans.

Roman Coins found in Saxon Graves with weighing scales that reflected the units of Gold Coins which circulated the Merovingian kingdoms were thought to be from sites of importance. Ones that traded on behalf of Kings. Trade in the early Saxon period was thought to be very limited and controlled by the elite. So these Roman Coins were thought to weight either Gold Coins or Bullion to the same units. :icon_thumright:

Thank you very much for this interesting info. :hello2:
I am actually trying to make finds, that could close the gab between the very few Roman finds and the many, many Viking finds of the site. This smal coin might do that, if I understand you right.
Thank you :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
CRUSADER said:
TheDane said:

Thank you very much for this interesting info. :hello2:
I am actually trying to make finds, that could close the gab between the very few Roman finds and the many, many Viking finds of the site. This smal coin might do that, if I understand you right.
Thank you :icon_thumleft:

Yes, its more likely to have been holed in the 5-6th Century, however, might be more interesting if it was holed in the 9th :o Its difficult to guess :dontknow: Keep finding the clues & it will become clearer :headbang:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds :icon_thumleft: i can only imagine, that speculation of wearing a Roman coin facing down to show disrespect to the Empire is really cool :thumbsup: Good hunt Dd60

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dane :icon_sunny:

Most be awesome hunting a site like that :thumbsup: The weight looks like a 'fancy dice' :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, guys ! :icon_thumleft:

IronSpike said:
Great finds Dane :icon_sunny:

Most be awesome hunting a site like that :thumbsup: The weight looks like a 'fancy dice' :thumbsup:

Right IronSpike that type of weights actually at the first glance look like small dices !
Problem is that they have the same amount of "eyes" all the way round on the larger surfaces !! :laughing7:

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Nydelige funn agersoe.

Great finds. Its always interesting to see what you find in the history-rich Danish ground. :icon_thumleft:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's all the finds pertaining to Cleveland State University? :icon_scratch: :wink:

Totally awesome stuff. I can't imagine finding stuff like that. Congrats and keep enjoying your hunts!

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate in Ohio said:
Where's all the finds pertaining to Cleveland State University? :icon_scratch: :wink:

Say again ?? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Dane those are what you call great finds. That 9th century coin is fantastic !. I've had plenty of those polyhedral weights from one site in Lincolnshire England (a Viking army over wintered there in AD873). Those weights range from six dot, four dot,three dot, two dot, and the tiny one dot. No five dot weights are known.
Regards
Robert.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Dane those are what you call great finds. That 9th century coin is fantastic !. I've had plenty of those polyhedral weights from one site in Lincolnshire England (a Viking army over wintered there in AD873). Those weights range from six dot, four dot,three dot, two dot, and the tiny one dot. No five dot weights are known.
Regards
Robert.

Thank you, Robert ! :icon_thumleft:
Yes, I found exampels of all five variations on this Viking Trading Site, that I discovered in 2008 ! :blob10:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions