Waders Information

B

Big1011Guy

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been looking online for Waders and I am even more confused now than I was even before I knew what The Word "Waders" meant.
I have been detecting since April 2009 and do most of my searching in Galveston, Texas. I have the Sea Hunter and I search in knee high to waist high surf. I don't want to stop just because of the cooler weather and chilly water.
The first Info I need Help with is about what Size Waders do I need. - I am 6'2'' tall / 265 lbs (mostly in the belly area, duh!) and wear a size 12 shoe. There are all kinds of variations on the sizes from XXL to a Boot Size 12, 14 etc...
Next Please Recommend the Material (neoprene, rubber, breathable etc...) the Waders are made out of that is best suited for Metal Detecting in Galveston, Texas Cool Months.
I am wanting to wear Waders instead of say a Dry/Wet Suit because, by the time I got one of those Wet/Dry suits on over this Big Belly I would be to tired to go Detecting and I don't want someone walking along the Seawall mistaking me for a Beached Whale. :help:
Thanks in Advance for Your Input,
Big1011Guy.

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is just my opinion but,... Wearing waders in the surf is like saying out loud, "I have an overt deathwish". You obviously don't have much experience working in the surf.

Please don't be offended by my remarks. I just don't like to see someone do unsafe things.

HH
Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wearing waders in the surf is not a good idea, but with a belt and PFD (life vest) it can be done if your careful. A lot depends on the surf. I've taken some spills and waves washing over the top is not fun. You are best served with just the Farmer John pants and don't worry, they make them in larger sizes. Best to try them on in a dive shop.

Waders should also be tried on before plunking down your money. I like boot waders from Cabala's http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...at20166&parentType=category&parentId=cat20166

Neoprene are the warmest and fit close to the body so a spill isn't as wet. One thing to look for is waders without a steel shank in the boot as the detector will find it. When I wore stocking foot waders I wore wading boots that had brass tacks which sometimes got the attention of my Excal when I was careless and got the coil to close. Don't go cheap as good ones last for many years. Good Luck, and have fun. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Montauk3 said:
This is just my opinion but,... Wearing waders in the surf is like saying out loud, "I have an overt deathwish". You obviously don't have much experience working in the surf.

Please don't be offended by my remarks. I just don't like to see someone do unsafe things.

HH
Ralph

No Offense Taken Montauk3. I just want to get out in the water when the seasons change.
If I would have had Chest High Waders Yesterday when I went to Galveston for the 12:33pm Low Tide, Temp Low 60's and with the wind blowing out of the North, I would have been able to get out in the water (even knee high) further than any other time I have been there. There wasn't much Wave Action and the waves that were coming ashore were very, very small. I have already learned the hard way that trying to Detect in Heavy Surf is Not a Good Idea and that a Strong Wave can sneak up on you and knock you on your *##. I also don't Detect at the Beach alone, my girlfriend is hooked on Metal Detecting as well and searches the Dry Sand/Towel Line Area.
Thanks for your concern,
Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless your wearing a life vest you should get a Farmer John wetsuit, 3 or 5 mil. I can hunt in January in the Atlantic off of Florida coast with mine and stay warm, and the Atlantic is a lot colder then the Gulf of Mexico. If you ever step in a hole, trip, or God Forbid, have a medical emergency, the waders will fill up with water and they then are like concrete overshoes. You can drown before your girlfriend can get to you if your in waist deep water.

I have stepped in holes, fell off of sandbars when they collasped, been hit with rouge wave when normal surf is only 12 inches and gone head over heals, if I had on hip waders or knee waders it would not have been fun.........Just a friendly suggestion.........

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter said:
Unless your wearing a life vest you should get a Farmer John wetsuit, 3 or 5 mil. I can hunt in January in the Atlantic off of Florida coast with mine and stay warm, and the Atlantic is a lot colder then the Gulf of Mexico. If you ever step in a hole, trip, or God Forbid, have a medical emergency, the waders will fill up with water and they then are like concrete overshoes. You can drown before your girlfriend can get to you if your in waist deep water.

I have stepped in holes, fell off of sandbars when they collasped, been hit with rouge wave when normal surf is only 12 inches and gone head over heals, if I had on hip waders or knee waders it would not have been fun.........Just a friendly suggestion.........

Thanks Treasure_Hunter for your reply. Someone else also suggested a Farmer John Wetsuit. I have never heard of them - I will check em' out. I hope they come with a Corset (old timey girdle) for my Belly Bulge :laughing7: :laughing7:
Thanks, Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I weigh about 210, 38 waist, and I wear a XXL just to give you and idea, they run small.

I have 2 shortsleeve shorties and a longsleeve farmer john, I got one shortie at a garage sell for $15, other shortie on EBay for $25 with shipping, and Farmer John cost me $38 with shipping.

Here is link just to check, link is to get an idea, ignore prices, look for a used suit.........

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-42/Wet-Suits-Temperate-Water-60-75-degrees.html

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter said:
I weigh about 210, 38 waist, and I wear a XXL just to give you and idea, they run small.

I have 2 shortsleeve shorties and a longsleeve farmer john, I got one shortie at a garage sell for $15, other shortie on EBay for $25 with shipping, and Farmer John cost me $38 with shipping.

Here is link just to check, link is to get an idea, ignore prices, look for a used suit.........

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-42/Wet-Suits-Temperate-Water-60-75-degrees.html

With the Farmer John Wet Suits what sort of footwear do you wear to keep feet dry and warmish.
I don't think Flippers would really be a good idea :laughing7:
Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally use several different shoes, depending on the temperature. I have a pair of dive boots, I also got used off of EBay that I use for the winter, or cold water, 9 months a year I use Gators....

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter said:
I personally use several different shoes, depending on the temperature. I have a pair of dive boots, I also got used off of EBay that I use for the winter, or cold water, 9 months a year I use Gators....

Thanks, Treasure_Hunter for the additional info. Time to go a Huntin' on Ebay!!!!
Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention dive boots also run small, buy at least one size larger then you normally wear.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter said:
Forgot to mention dive boots also run small, buy at least one size larger then you normally wear.

Thanks again, Guy

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Sandman, "Wearing waders in the surf is not a good idea, but with a belt and PFD (life vest) it can be done if your careful. A lot depends on the surf." For Me I do wear {Hodgeman wadelites, with Boots attached} all the time during the fall and spring when the water is from 60 and down to the high 30's, if I see the water is to ruff I make sure to have the Sterns no 4444 manual inflate, life and Fishing vest all in one, plus my pouchbelt from Joseph DeMarco. If I am in very ruff waters I wear a MSD 900 Survival Work Suit. I like the waders the best, you can be in them and out within a few minutes, {the MSD900 takes about 10 mins.} Plus the waders keep the Salty feeling off of you, this is the Alantic Coast waters, which can be ruff most of the time, so just be careful, wearing a PDF is your best investment, here is my link to you tube which you can see the waders, and the ruff waters
Another Vid http://www.youtube.com/user/OldeBeechnut#p/u/4/7iRLiEUZc_Y And the waders have a steel shank and the detector does pick them up , some times, but you must keep in mind that the shanks are there and you will be fine..no major problem with the excal or the Pi..good luck...HH...Joe

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Thanks OldeBeechnut for the Reply, Info and Videos. I really enjoyed Videos and laughed pretty hard when you found that 20 dollar bill.
Thanks again, Guy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy, you should understand that dive boots don't keep your feet dry. The water inside stays warm from your foot and it is better than having cold water flood in and out. The only way to keep feet dry is with boot foot waders.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Sandman said:
Guy, you should understand that dive boots don't keep your feet dry. The water inside stays warm from your foot and it is better than having cold water flood in and out. The only way to keep feet dry is with boot foot waders.

Thanks Sandman for the clarification of dive boots. I am still leaning towards Neoprene Chest High Waders with Boots attached, a waist belt and being careful.
Guy

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My Question to all the guys that hunt the cold waters, say from 30 to 40 degrees, I have a dry suit that has the rubber bootes/soxs. And the dive boots I wear over, but my feet get cold after a few hours or so. I have used the foot warmers. which help. But am I missing something? Even my Msd900 uses the same setup but with a gortex sox, which works better but still, have I got so use to the comfort of the WarmBoots of my waders. that keep my feet warm for hours. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks Guys........Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your feet still get cold because of cold water around the foot where the wader boots insulate lots better. Suggest wool socks on feet before getting in dry suit. I never liked dry suits because of the tight fitting around the neck.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say no no on the waders, I think it was in Florida a man drowned a year or so ago detecting while wearing waders. I hunt South Padre Island and the surf is brutal this time of the year, that and the undertow will knock you off your feet. I have a couple wetsuits, but the farmer john ones work really well here. The dive boots are a must and although your feet get wet you will not feel the cold. One other recomendation is dive gloves to keep your hands warm. Don't get thick ones because you won't be able to reach in the scoop and grasp anything. I made the mistake of going out last year with a wet/dry suit, the ones you would use in icy waters. The temp here was about 28 and the wind would cut through you. I was fine in the suit it worked like a charm. But I had thick dive gloves on which I found out didn't work with detecting so off they came. I kept my hands in the water, because it was warmer, and ignored the signs of them going numb and me losing feeling in them until I couldn't stand the dull throbing any more(ok until I was having problems holding onto the scoop). I almost did not get out of the wetsuit because my hands just weren't working. I still have joint pain in them now to this day. STUPID STUPID STUPID, but I really didn't think it was that cold to do any damage.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Thanks txkickergirl for your reply and input about the gloves.
Much Appreciated, Guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread