mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this little jewel a couple of days ago. I have been detecting these German grounds for almost 2 years now and never thought I would come across a Waffen SS hat pin! I'm sure they are not worth much but just to think that a member of the SS wore this and possibly came off during battle is incredible! If anybody has more information on this Totenkopf, I would like to hear from you. Thanks and enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Waffen SS Officer Deathshead Hat Pin (Totenkopf).gif
    Waffen SS Officer Deathshead Hat Pin (Totenkopf).gif
    2 MB · Views: 1,316

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Waffen SS visor pin was manufactured by several entities including Overhoff, Fritz Zimmerman, E. W. Assam and Sohne; and Deschler and Sohne. Varieties may exist from each manufacturer. Couple that with the fact many replicas exist and you have a challenge to further ID the pin. I'll add; it certainly looks real--and if real, some in excellent condition sell for a large premium--over $1k.
Don.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Backside photo

Thanks a bunch Mackaydon! I always appreciate opinions on items I may not know everything about. After doing a little more research myself, and a little cleaning, I found the makers mark on the backside. You can tell the RZM emblem is there but it is very worn. I can also make out the M1/24 marking which as you stated is made by Overhoff & Cie. As you can see the pins are intact too. It's not in the greatest shape but after sitting in the ground for roughly 70 years, this will make a great addition to my WWII collection!

Attachments

• Backside Totenkopf.gif
    Backside Totenkopf.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 685

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread