What's new

Warranted Superior w/ Eagle

soupie

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,008
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pics includes a IH penny for size reference...
I was leaning towards a lid for something... :icon_scratch:
Soup
 

Attachments

  • DSC01419.webp
    DSC01419.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSC01422.webp
    DSC01422.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 563
It is a saw handle bolt (they have a particular name, but I am having a senior moment and can't remember what it is)
 
Upvote 0
Nevermind,found it..
Medallion for a handsaw
Soup
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Creskol... :thumbsup:
From what I am reading,the medallion was used on several brands...
Soup
 
Upvote 0
Soupie said:
Thanks Creskol... :thumbsup:
From what I am reading,the medallion was used on several brands...
Soup

Warran and Ted Superior were not brothers in the saw manufacturing business.

Warranted Superior medallions are found on secondary lines manufactured by Disston and other major saw makers with other brand names on the etch. Some smaller 19th century saw makers may have bought sawnuts and medallions from the bigger factories.

After 1900 or so the "small guys" were actually secondary lines of the "big guys." The small companies were bought up by bigger ones and some of their products were continued for a time. Harvey Peace is one example. Most American saws from the 20th century, regardless of brand name, were made in the works of Disston, Atkins, Bishop, or Simonds.

In the case of Disston, their replacement medallions were stamped Warranted Superior rather than "Disston." I would speculate their rationale was they didn't want their name on lesser-quality saws. Brand identity and loyalty in the U.S. was much stronger in the first half of the 20th century than it is today.

nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom