What's new

A&W Taste Changed :(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,874
Reaction score
76,326
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a few Months ago I had a Hankerin' for a​

Root beer Float ! Been something like 60 Years Since I had One ! I bought a pack of A&W ! It tasted Like Crap :( so much for That. :( Threw the Pack away :( Figure some Psychotic Health Nutcases​

changed it. ​

​

They did in the 60's, So maybe was it :icon_scratch:​

While sassafras is no longer used in commercially produced root beer and is sometimes replaced with artificial flavors, natural extracts with the safrole distilled and removed are available.​

​


But No Maybe Not !
I Just Googled A&W

A&W Taste Changed?​

Question

Hey guys I bought a A&W Root Beer recently and it sorta has a licorice aftertaste is this the new normal? I'm just asking because A&W was my favorite Root Beer that's widely available and if this is how it's going to be I'm going to be getting a different root beer.


Update: A&W changed from Vanilla to a Vanilla substitute idk if they changed anything else but I’m glad that I wasn’t alone in thinking that A&W tasted different and felt vindicated when I found out that they did change something. Mainly because my friends thought I was nuts.

Guess I'll have to Try a Different Brand !

When I lived Up In Joliett I Used To make My Own,
But Not Something I Could do Here So I left My Croc, Bottles & bottle capper for spoils . Never Knew about Sassafras though. so mine wasn't original taste either. I Used Rootbeer Extract
000aaa.webp


But was Closer then A&W ???
 
Last edited:
I no longer drink rootbeer because of my diabetes but I use to love it, I was drinking Barqs last time I drank it. Loved the old A&W rootbeer but they changed the recipe decades ago.
 
Yeah, I think they changed A&W. But still one of the better of the National Brand Root beers. If I cant get a good home brew Root beer made with sugar instead of corn syrup, I usually go with Barks or Dads, then A&W. I still drink an A&W occasionally it's not a "Bad National Root Beer" but I think the taste is a little different from years ago.
 
Try Old Henry Root Beer its pricey but down right good lol. They make a a hand full of sodas one of my favorites is the Orange Cream like the old Orange ice cream bar the cream soda is a good one too.
 
I'v bbeen Curious if Bich beer is Original Yet .
I Used to Always Buy a Cup on Tap at the Farmers Market Every Sunday
 
Safrole is a useful, naturally-occurring chemical precursor that also happens to be found in some of the foods we eat, such as nutmeg and cinnamon. Most notably though, it is found highly concentrated in the roots of the sassafras tree, which is the root that originally put the "root" in "root beer". Ever since its ban in the 1960's however, root beer just hasn't been the same. So in this video, I'll be extracting safrole from wild sassafras and using it to make my own authentic, safrole-based root beer!


 
 
I'll Have to Find it

 
Try Old Henry Root Beer its pricey but down right good lol. They make a a hand full of sodas one of my favorites is the Orange Cream like the old Orange ice cream bar the cream soda is a good one too.
Yeah, I hear there are some really good Small Independent company brewed Root beers and sodas out there. plus all the home soda makers.
Root beer did taste better as a kid though.
That Orange Cream ice cream soda sounds good. I could go for one of those.😆 Heck I might risk the Big C for a kick-ass Old Scholl Root beer.🤣

Treasures lost, Treasures Found, I
 
I order draft Root Beer if they have it when I go to a restaurant.
Last Time I Found Draft for sale was Back in the days Where Stores and farmers markets had a Soda/Ice Cream Counter :(

Now all I'm sure of, on tap is Beer in Bars, Since I Stopped attending Keggers in the 80's

These days Segrams ZERO Sugar Ginger ale is My Preferred Drink
1768544439061.webp
 
Last edited:
Back in the 80's I Stopped at a Very Small Corner Store. They had a Cooler With Local Soda.

Was sassafras. I ended up Throwing most away

1768585429661.webp


the company went out of Business because Everyone Baught a Full case & kept the Bottles. I liked their 7Up type Soda

1768585782324.webp
 
Etna Brewery recently came out with a root beer. I havnt tried it but they make great beer! The reason I havnt tried it is because it cost $14 for a 6 pack at the one grocery store Ive seen it.
14 dollar for a 6-pack? wooeee.
Better be some dang good Root beer.

🤣
I think I am going to come out with a Lola Cola.

🤣
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom