WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN????

WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN?

• YES

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

gdgros

Greenie
Jul 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello great discussion just wanted to through my thoughts in, I have been doing a lot of civil war research from my county in Missouri, I found a document from a family in our county that has a letter from there kin ( not for sure if the letter exist anymore still tracking that down ) that could change the history of the night of Lincoln’s murder.

History states booth and another person road out of town after killing Lincoln, this letter states there was at least one more person with the two riders riding out of DC that night the guard that was on duty that night stated 3 men road out of town, not long after that event union forces road up to the gate and said they where tracking 2 men who had shot Lincoln.

The guard on duty said some strangers had road through but they where legit and let them pass through

Now take this for a grain of salt but until I can track down this civil war letter and read the letter this is just a story handed down from generation to generation if it is legit

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our website and the many forums about the KGC treasures, some were founded, and many left to be found. Good luck and good hunting to those seeking these treasures.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
"When Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, Booth became desperate. At some point, possibly after Lincoln endorsed limited African-American voting rights during a speech on April 11, 1865, Booth’s plan changed from kidnapping to assassination. He and other conspirators came up with a plan to kill the President, Vice President and Secretary of State on the same night."

JOHN WILKES BOOTH

"On the morning of the day I killed the Presi-
dent the taking of the life of Mr. Lincoln had never
entered my mind. My purpose had been, as I have
stated, to kidnap President Lincoln for the purpose
I have mentioned, and, in fact, one or more efforts
to do so had fallen through, and we intended that
the last effort should not fail. On the morn-
ing of the 14th day of April, 1865, we came into
Washington and were stopped at the block house of
the Federal troops, at the bridge crossing the
East Potomac river, by the Federal troops, on guard
at this point. It appeared that some recent reports
had been circulated that the life or safety of Presi-
dent Lincoln was impending, and that an attempt
had or would be made from some source to assas-
sinate the President, while at this time any such pur-
pose was unknown to me, and because of these re-
ports we were informed by the guard that no one
could pass in or out of Washington City without
giving a full account of himself, because of the
threats against the life of the President. Herold
and I hesitated to give our names for awhile, and
were arrested and detained at this block house from
about 11 o'clock in the morning until in the after-
noon about 2 o'clock, when for the first time we
heard definitely of Lee's surrender at Appomattox. "

Last edited:

gdgros

Greenie
Jul 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to know what was in the missing pages of booths diary and why the diary was lost and then found after the trial of the conspirators was over.

According to some witness the Booth diary was intact and given to Stanton to hold on to

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Orville Browning met with the assassins and Vice President Johnson the morning of the 14th of April, 1865 at the Kirkwood Hotel and again in the afternoon with Ben Ficklin and Singleton. It was at that time that I believe Browning presented Booth with Government-issued passes he had obtained from the War Department that day intended for "Refugee Germans" to return to Richmond Va. That gave Booth the head start that he needed to escape cleanly from Washington D.C. across a heavily guarded East Patomic Bridge.

Attachments

• Browning notes April.jpg
    Browning notes April.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Would love to know what was in the missing pages of booths diary and why the diary was lost and then found after the trial of the conspirators was over.

According to some witness the Booth diary was intact and given to Stanton to hold on to

The real L.C. Baker was sacked from his position as government spymaster. President Johnson accused him of spying on him, a charge Baker admitted in his book which he published in response. He also announced that he had had Booth's diary in his possession which was being suppressed by the Department of War and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton. When the diary was eventually produced, Baker claimed that eighteen vital pages were missing. It was suggested by Otto Eisenschiml in his book, "Why Was Lincoln Murdered?" that these missing pages would implicate Stanton in the assassination.
On July 3, 1868, Baker retired home complaining of soreness from a gun wound during a hunting trip. He had been out drinking with Wally Pollack, his brother-in-law, and came home feeling sick, passing away later that night, reportedly from "meningitis." Personally I believe he was poisoned and killed for knowing what was on the missing pages. Scarcely eighteen months after his explosive allegations he mysteriously died. Some suggested he was killed by the War Department to silence him. Using an atomic absorption spectrophotometer to analyze several hairs from Baker's head, Ray A. Neff, a professor at Indiana State University, determined L.C. Baker was killed by arsenic poisoning rather than meningitis. It was speculated that Baker had been unwittingly consuming the poison for months, mixed into imported beer provided by his wife's brother Wally Pollack. The world will never have total proof of any of it, except the bad taste left in their mouth from something in the mix not quite right.

L.C.:icon_thumright:

P.S. Browning and Stanton were involved in defrauding the Government of large amounts of cash using spies for the Confederacy like D.K. Boswell

See letters written to Stanton from Orville Browning about D.K. Boswell here. https://www.loc.gov/item/mal1440400/

See the partial truth about D.K. Boswell here. http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2014/01/11/whatever-happened-to-d-k-boswell-2/

The question is, "Did Stanton know he was being used by the K.G.C. before or after the assassination?"

gdgros

Greenie
Jul 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has also been said Grant was to go with Lincoln that night to the theater but Stanton sent home on a assignment

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It has also been said Grant was to go with Lincoln that night to the theater but Stanton sent home on a assignment

In the book "THE ESCAPE AND SUICIDE OF JOHN WILKES BOOTH" John St. Helen, admitted to the lawyer Finis Bates that he was John Wilkes Booth, and he said that Vice President Johnson who was a part of the conspiracy was the man who arranged for Grant and his wife to be called away so that they could not attend the theater with the Lincolns. A man named Otto Eisenschiml who was not a historian but was an Austrian-born chemist who emigrated to the U.S. in 1901 and became an oil company executive in Chicago was the start of the Grant story you mentioned. After nearly a decade researching Lincoln’s assassination, he published "Why Was Lincoln Murdered" in 1937, claiming that Secretary of War Edwin Stanton masterminded Lincoln’s assassination. In that book was where the Grant story originated in the mainstream press. I personally believe that Vice President Johnson was the man who called Grant away as was stated by John St. Helen to Finis Bates.

L.C.:occasion14:

tony bonn

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bates book may be the best book i have read. on the other hand, was his encounter with booth truly accidental? how much more is there to bates? how much did booth conceal from him? i wish there were more details about booth's progression from entering the theater to his exit, to say nothing of the real powers commissioning the event.

was hanscom a conspirator? i say yes. i assume that he was a signal of some kind. was forbes in the presidential box during the kill? i don't think bates addressed these matters in the book.

i will say that the characterization of booth was almost identical to ernest miller's article's assessments on booth during his brief stay in pennsylvania in 1864, which was instrumental in convincing me of bates' bonafides.

Last edited:

tony bonn

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bates Follow-up

the bates book may be the best book i have read. on the other hand, was his encounter with booth truly accidental? how much more is there to bates? how much did booth conceal from him? i wish there were more details about booth's progression from entering the theater to his exit, to say nothing of the real powers commissioning the event.

Seek and ye shall find. This article helps fill in some of the gaps in the bates saga and ties in with the knights of the golden circle. the book and article are highly complementary. https://www.conspiracyarchive.com/Articles/Booth-Jesse-James.htm

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an excellent thread with such interesting information. I find myself returning to it a few times a year to review it. A big thanks to all those who take their time to add to its history.

gdgros

Greenie
Jul 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree citiboy it would be awesome to find some historical information hidden away in a attic that could answer all the theories

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

gdgros

Greenie
Jul 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for sure about that article it is interesting reading for sure there still a lot of theories about the death of Jessie James.

But I am sure we all can say Booth was a part of something big back then , will we ever know Mabey one day and for sure it went deep with in the government

tony bonn

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seek and ye shall find. This article helps fill in some of the gaps in the bates saga and ties in with the knights of the golden circle. the book and article are highly complementary.

there are yet more threads to the booth saga, one of which comes from Arthur Ben Chitty who recounts the story of Booth's sojourn in tennessee in 1872 during which he remarries Louisa Payne in franklin county. He obtained a certified copy of the marriage record. i have not been able to find any attempt at hand writing analysis to tie the signature to booth, but it is signed Jno. W Booth. And he is said to have had a daughter by this woman.

Booth and louisa visited memphis to obtain money, but when recognized, booth left for texas in july 1872. the timings comport well with the bates story and also ties booth, bates, and memphis (and andrew johnson) together via memphis and tennessee, opening the possibility of bates' a priori knowledge of booth.

it is all hearsay, circumstantial, and conjectural, but the stories fit, and could be closer to the truth than anything we have been told officially.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
there are yet more threads to the booth saga, one of which comes from Arthur Ben Chitty who recounts the story of Booth's sojourn in tennessee in 1872 during which he remarries Louisa Payne in franklin county. He obtained a certified copy of the marriage record. i have not been able to find any attempt at hand writing analysis to tie the signature to booth, but it is signed Jno. W Booth. And he is said to have had a daughter by this woman.

Booth and louisa visited memphis to obtain money, but when recognized, booth left for texas in july 1872. the timings comport well with the bates story and also ties booth, bates, and memphis (and andrew johnson) together via memphis and tennessee, opening the possibility of bates' a priori knowledge of booth.

it is all hearsay, circumstantial, and conjectural, but the stories fit, and could be closer to the truth than anything we have been told officially.

Don't know if I believe this as much as Bates did. :dontknow:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

tony bonn

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booth Escaped and Lived to Tell About It

a new book (published 2016) came to my attention, by dr robert arnold, which conclusively proves that booth escaped capture and survived his own death. his material, plus that of finis bates, and a few scattered but important sources, settles the debate. Booth escaped "justice" and lived to tell about it, a habit which ultimately cost him his life.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread