What's new

Watched by the cops, busted by the wannabe

There's a certain town about ~100 miles from me, that has an old park in the center of town. I've hunted there as far back as the early 1980s, and found lots of silver there. Naturally, at that distance, it's just one of those "back-pocket" sites I hit when travelling that way through our state. And over the years, I must have hit it 100 times. As had others I knew. But then one day, in the late 90's, a buddy and I were doing our thing there, when a lady cop came over and read us the riot act. Kicked us both out, saying "that's not allowed", blah blah blah. It turned out that we were just about to wrap it up anyhow, so we just gave lip service and left.

A few months later, I was corresponding with an md'r in that particular city, whom we had seen from some forum posts that we were only 100-ish miles apart from each other. As we compared notes on places we'd researched and hit in his area, this particular park came up in the conversation. I told him about our booting. He was shocked, because he'd hunted that park for a good year or two by then, and never had a problem. He knew of no prohibitions or rules saying "no", etc... And as it turns out, his wife was friends with a council-person in that town and knew persons in city hall. So he was going to have her look into this and get to the bottom of this.

The results were as expected: no rules saying you couldn't. I mean, sure, perhaps the obligatory "defacement" or "alteration" stuff, but no, nothing specifically saying 'no metal detecting' . Thus at this point, my friend was going to raise a stink and find out who the lady cop was, and "set her straight", etc... To which I advised him that this was probably NOT what we wanted to do, lest our "pressing issue" get attention, and result in an actual TRUE rule invented, to "fill this gap in wording". Doh! So we each just "let it go".

But as I say, I only get through this area a time or two per year, so it was no biggie. The next time going through that town, I (gasp) detected again. No problems (presuming I'm not going at high noon wearing neon orange, etc...). Then again a time or two the following year. And so on. That was perhaps 15 yrs. ago, and I've been back 2 dozen times, and never heard "boo" again.

So the moral of that story (IMHO), is that you can't always take an isolated incident as being a true or new rule, etc... Sometimes, I hate to say it, but it just means "avoid that one individual". Yes I wish it wasn't that way. I wish everyone (archies, gardeners, etc...) all loved us and rolled red carpets out for us. But alas, it's never going to be that way. There's admitted connotations, and no gaurantee that you'll never run into someone "having a bad day".
 
There's a certain town about ~100 miles from me, that has an old park in the center of town. I've hunted there as far back as the early 1980s, and found lots of silver there. Naturally, at that distance, it's just one of those "back-pocket" sites I hit when travelling that way through our state. And over the years, I must have hit it 100 times. As had others I knew. But then one day, in the late 90's, a buddy and I were doing our thing there, when a lady cop came over and read us the riot act. Kicked us both out, saying "that's not allowed", blah blah blah. It turned out that we were just about to wrap it up anyhow, so we just gave lip service and left.

A few months later, I was corresponding with an md'r in that particular city, whom we had seen from some forum posts that we were only 100-ish miles apart from each other. As we compared notes on places we'd researched and hit in his area, this particular park came up in the conversation. I told him about our booting. He was shocked, because he'd hunted that park for a good year or two by then, and never had a problem. He knew of no prohibitions or rules saying "no", etc... And as it turns out, his wife was friends with a council-person in that town and knew persons in city hall. So he was going to have her look into this and get to the bottom of this.

The results were as expected: no rules saying you couldn't. I mean, sure, perhaps the obligatory "defacement" or "alteration" stuff, but no, nothing specifically saying 'no metal detecting' . Thus at this point, my friend was going to raise a stink and find out who the lady cop was, and "set her straight", etc... To which I advised him that this was probably NOT what we wanted to do, lest our "pressing issue" get attention, and result in an actual TRUE rule invented, to "fill this gap in wording". Doh! So we each just "let it go".

But as I say, I only get through this area a time or two per year, so it was no biggie. The next time going through that town, I (gasp) detected again. No problems (presuming I'm not going at high noon wearing neon orange, etc...). Then again a time or two the following year. And so on. That was perhaps 15 yrs. ago, and I've been back 2 dozen times, and never heard "boo" again.

So the moral of that story (IMHO), is that you can't always take an isolated incident as being a true or new rule, etc... Sometimes, I hate to say it, but it just means "avoid that one individual". Yes I wish it wasn't that way. I wish everyone (archies, gardeners, etc...) all loved us and rolled red carpets out for us. But alas, it's never going to be that way. There's admitted connotations, and no gaurantee that you'll never run into someone "having a bad day".
Sounds like a park that is close to me that you speak of and now they are going to close the oldest part of that park and expand the zoo over all the good spots with the 1800's Silver.:sadsmiley:
 
Sounds like a park that is close to me that you speak of and now they are going to close the oldest part of that park and expand the zoo over all the good spots with the 1800's Silver.:sadsmiley:

If they scrape off old turf in preparation for new zoo exhibits, is the time to get in there and detect!!
 
If they scrape off old turf in preparation for new zoo exhibits, is the time to get in there and detect!!
They have it all fenced in.And posted everywhere.
 
These are the reasons I go at night or crack of day. No busy bodies and the park people are gone. That and really it just fits into my schedule better being a night person.

I hunt the parks and schools during the day and cops, personnel and citizens talk to me and wave. Heck I have permission, written, from the commissioner to hunt all county land. And written from the mayor. When I asked they said very few inquire about musing in our town. Until this fall was the first time I ever seen anybody doing it. Only one problem I see a guy who leaves big holes where the kids run and play at a park. I'm afraid some mom is going to get a group of people toghter and complain. I'm thinking this spring I'm going to talk to him. Good luck all.
 
They have it all fenced in.And posted everywhere.

Welcome to the harsh cruel reality of old-town urban tear-out demolition hunting. Barring perhaps sidewalk demolitions, probably most sites get those obligatory fences and/or signs. So that no one can slip on a bananna peel and sue them. Go to ebay and type in: "cat key" :hello:
 
Sure rub it in my face. I use to live in Clearwater till I sold my soul and moved to Georgia .. grrrrr

Sorry U-Jeff But not very many if any CW sites in Central Fl. That I know of .
Have you enjoyed our recent Snow Jam?? lol
Sorry OP off Topic.
 
Sounds like the norm..

Also sounds like the LEO he first had contact with was someone (who was no Rookie) & had some common sense
As for the Bum,s ( homeless, Folk with mental issues,addicts ,etc) They are gonna be around no matter what &
that park is probably NOT the best place to hunt at Nite
Almost all the parks are closed from dusk until dawn in my area.
You live and you learn so just keep on keepin on Buddy.
Good luck
Davers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom