Water detecting newb

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been around the hobby for a while and still have great fun on land. So other than curiosity I have never had much interest in checking out water. But what the hey, I picked up a scoop recently and gave it a whirl. Well I'll be darned if I didn't start popping jewelry right off the hop ! I have only had four water sessions in the local eutrophic algae filled swamp locally referred to as a lake. Here are the pics.

Upvote 0
Congrats NWMP, good hunting!
Looks like we're neighbours, I'm in Manitoba!

Hi Brad. In southern Sask here. The wife and I are planning a week or two up in the Boreal again soon. I have picked up many rings etc. from a long eroded away post on the river bank up there. I scan the shoreline and usually come out with a few, and I have permission for the private land above. I have a few crappy videos that I experimented with using my older camera last year. Look under Chris upnorth on Youtube.

I had a person once tell me "all tha gold is in the water". It's debatable for sure. But I have had most my luck in the water. Looks like you have a spot that's un touched. Make sure you go back an really creep the area...there's more. Hh gl thanks for sharing. -Joe

Nice finds and it looks like a great un-hunted area. Please post some photos of the silver after you clean them.

Nice goin'!:headbang:

L

Congratulations on the finds! Perhaps you have found an untapped area, I sure hope so.

Regards,

Newb you say?? Good work.

I had a person once tell me "all tha gold is in the water". It's debatable for sure. But I have had most my luck in the water. Looks like you have a spot that's un touched. Make sure you go back an really creep the area...there's more. Hh gl thanks for sharing. -Joe
Yes I think that the (small) spot was untouched. I got my first ring in water less than knee deep. and eventually after a few trips got up to my moobs. I still have a lot to learn and my hitting targets with no visibility can still be dicey. My second last trip nailed several large coins in the deeper stuff. Then the last trip was very poor, even working the deep water. It is weird feeling the bottom transition from sand, to rock, to clam beds. I haven't been out for a week or two to this spot. It will be interesting to see if it had dried up that quickly and or if the algae bloom has become more of an issue. Overall it was a gas and the finds were more than I would have hoped for, when starting out. It is really fun to look in that scoop as it comes up, or eyeball into the dump tub! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back