Water detector

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Okay this may not be the right place for this post so if not mod please move to correct place. I have a cheap MD that someone gave me a couple of days ago. I also have a waterproof enclosure from a previous business venture. I want to take the detector apart, move the guts to the enclosure and make a "water detector" I don't care if I have to dig every signal since this is what I mostly due and I would NOT be using it in salt water only fresh water. Anyone done this or know if it will work?

Upvote 0

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna try the same thing for my detector but only pop off the rod and coil. Gonna keep the guts in the detectors stock box. Just gonna make a clear waterproof acrylic case mounted as a backpack just to wade the water with. Open the case, turn it on, position the detector inside then run the wire through cable clams thru the case. Then clamp down one side with a large o-ring gasket and clamp it down with 4 stainless steel latches equally mounted.
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=21433F .....if you do it this way, you'll find them cheaper on Ebay.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of folks do this. Ive seen Sovereigns mounted in dry boxes before Excals hit the scene, Tesoso Sidewinders and many other types, too - all plunked down in waterproof boxes. It's not at all uncommon, I guess, although Im holding off till I find just the right components.

I know one guy who double bagged the detector controls, put them in a camera bag and attached that to his heaphones head strap. As long as he doesnt go under, he's okay!

There are two real challenges for doing any of this:

1. Extending the coil cable, should you want to chest mount or something like that.
I dont really want do gut any of my detectors, but would rather mount the controls of a Tesoro uMax on the headset as mentioned. As is, the coil cable is too short. Tesoro charges a minimum of $30 to extend the cable.

2. Obtaining a waterproof seal for cable entries into the box.

Should you want a rod, chest or back mounted box that will get wet, as I propose, you have to make sure that the cable entries are waterproof. Some people gob on the silicone, some obtain waterproof electrical feedthroughs. Ideally, I'd like a Tesoro Golden uMax in an under-the-arm cuff mount. But, this will take a lot of expensive connectors and pigtails, so if anyone has any ideas, please share! them!

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
here one of many i did over the years, this one the sov gt, w/15"wot.

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 357

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a white's DFX and they sell a 5' extension cable, so i'm covered. I'm probably gonna chest mount mine so I can look at the screen. Now my only hurdle is whether i'm gonna set a waterproof switch linkage to flip the pinpointing trigger. Anyone have a solution?

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
Brass, waterproof momentary switch with cap Mounting stem is 1-1/4" long x 3/8" diameter; requires a 3/8" installation hole.

Attachments

• 3671386c_1.gif
    3671386c_1.gif
    13 KB · Views: 224

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water detector parts

Where do you guys find this stuff?? Obviously you guys have some real "connections" for waterproof parts. Would you all be willing to share a source for cable end connectors and feed throughs - Ive seen them; I dont know where to get them.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
how many pic connetor do you need 4pin 5 pin 6pin? male are female connector? and what kind of feed through, like i used on the headphones?

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 243

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to encase a Tesoro Golden in a dry box, thus making what I am calling an WaderGolden. I would need:

1- coil cable feed through
1- headphones feed through.

I can get similar feed throughs like the one you show where I work, but Id still ike to know where I could one like it anyway.

Also, I would prefer NOT to remove the Goldens cable connector - is there something that would allow the connector and cable to go into the box, but which might let it all come apart and go back to being a dry Golden at the end of the season?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread