Ways to stretch a dollar when you were a kid (chipping in)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the older you are here, the more ways you had to stretch a buck when you were a kid.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, we all had our ways of making some money. This is about how wisely you spent it, and see how far your money could really go. Although I'm not proud of this story, we were kids and it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Besides, it was fun, exciting and filled with adventure.

Since we as kids already knew that money didn't grow on trees, we found ways to stretch our dollar. This is one of many ways. It was the fun fun and exciting and the reward was the best part.

Movies were 50 cents back in the early 60's and with that 50 cent purchase you were able to see 2 main features, along with a short (Usually the 3 Stooges) There was nothing like spending a rainy summer day in an air conditioned movie house, so that made or choice that much easier. Over the course of the summer, we perhaps saw 4 movies in the following manner. Keep in mind that we did pace our visits as we didn't want to be recognized.

We would gather the crowd that was anywhere from 6-8 of us, and we all "chipped in" a few coins to meet the purchase price. Once the ticket was purchased the one would sit near the fire doors and wait for the lights to dim and short, or coming attraction to play. Then with the reflexes of a jungle cat, they would push the handle bar on the fire exit door. The light from outside would flood the theater and we would all bolt in, diving under the seats, crawling though sticky soda ridden floors, past the Ju-Ju Beads and popcorn, to a safe location. Several would go high, and the rest low. It made no sense to stick together and lessened the chances of getting caught. We would lay low watching the matrons flashlight searching up and down the aisles for us little convicts. It was so exciting, just like a prison break we would watch on TV, but instead of watching it, we were living it live.

Once they gave up on looking for us, we would crawl out to the aisle and meet by the concession stand to get our goodies and enjoy the show. Ahh the memories of having sticky clothes and filthy hands.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Never say you're not proud of things like this! It's kids stuff, and what kids do...well did...all over the world where they had the chance.
You're on a roll this week ain't ya mate lol.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano, I could have a book, better yet a movie dedicated to my childhood. I had such a blast and you're right, most of us did those things at some point. I just did it more often.... Never had a dull moment, or a moment thinking, "What do we do next"? Things just happened in real time, or as I prefer "reel" time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread