Weekend hunt yield Liberty Cap and Indian

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Haven't posted on here in a while as I guess I've been busy with life. Anyway, finally got out for a hunt this weekend and I was rewarded. First signal on the T2 was a solid 89 at 8". Being careful I slowly pulled a 1794 Liberty Cap out of the hole. Unfortunately, not much detail left, but I can clearly see the date and some other features on the obverse, while not much detail is left on the reverse. I've only cleaned it with a toothbrush so I'm interested if anything else may help with the details (olive oil, H202) I'm considering a cold peroxide rinse, but I've destroyed a few large cents in hot peroxide. I also managed a few other buttons and an 1889 IH. I'm also interested if anyone has any info on the button in the top left corner.
I'm so excited by the Liberty Cap. This is my first one and I was hoping it was a Liberty Cap when I pulled her out of the hole. Oddly enough I've never pulled any 1800s silver, but I've probably gotten 25 large cents and over 100 IHs. Just can't seem to swing the coil over any old silver. Then again, I'm certainly not complaining about this hunt!

Upvote 1

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 1700s LC :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clean or not to clean is a tough question with big copper coins. A good close up picture would help because some coins are so far gone coming out of the ground that they'll just flake away no matter what you do. On the other hand, if a coin has a lot of "meat" left on it, it can do quite well with a peroxide bath or a good long toothpicking session. Congrats on the Liberty Cap LC. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
I'm definitely gun shy when it comes to peroxide. I toasted a KGII using peroxide. This came out of an old farm field so I'm guessing its seen its share of ammonia fertilizer.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely gun shy when it comes to peroxide. I toasted a KGII using peroxide. This came out of an old farm field so I'm guessing its seen its share of ammonia fertilizer.
I can definitely understand that. I've had some peroxide remorse in my day. Maybe try going really slow with a toothpick and be very gentle. I would stay as far away from water as i could though. I don't use olive oil much any more but some people seem to like it. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own methods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions