Weird bedrock discovery

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting a creek for a while now and have had pretty good results on it.
It is glacial material and its deposited as follows: silt, then rocks, then cobble, then to hard packed clay.
The gold is usually found with the cobble and hard packed clay.
Recently I walked far down the creek and discovered exposed bedrock. I began working it and breaking it and discovered that there is clay UNDER the bedrock. The clay is 1-2 feet thick and nearly impossible to get through.
I have never seen clay UNDER bedrock?! I thought bedrock was the final layer?
As it turns out the clay that I have been working further down the creek is the layer that the bedrock sits on top of. Apparently from what I can gather the bedrock has been stripped off and broken to smaller pieces and mostly gone. Anyone seen anything like this?
Is there any way to get through 1-2 feet or more of clay?! It's not shovel able.
Would nuggets sink through 2 feet + of hard as cement clay? I find flakes and fines but rarely nuggets on the clay.
Any tips or insight or thoughts as to any of this would help.

Upvote 0

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting a creek for a while now and have had pretty good results on it.
It is glacial material and its deposited as follows: silt, then rocks, then cobble, then to hard packed clay.
The gold is usually found with the cobble and hard packed clay.
Recently I walked far down the creek and discovered exposed bedrock. I began working it and breaking it and discovered that there is clay UNDER the bedrock. The clay is 1-2 feet thick and nearly impossible to get through.
I have never seen clay UNDER bedrock?! I thought bedrock was the final layer?
As it turns out the clay that I have been working further down the creek is the layer that the bedrock sits on top of. Apparently from what I can gather the bedrock has been stripped off and broken to smaller pieces and mostly gone. Anyone seen anything like this?
Is there any way to get through 1-2 feet or more of clay?! It's not shovel able.
Would nuggets sink through 2 feet + of hard as cement clay? I find flakes and fines but rarely nuggets on the clay.
Any tips or insight or thoughts as to any of this would help.

I have seen clay under bedrock before but never that deep. The most I've ever seen was like 4-5 inches thick. But whenever I find something like that there's two layers of bedrock a surface layer the clay and then a bottom layer of bedrock under the clay. From what I've heard the clay is just decomposed bedrock so for some reason the layer of bedrock under the surface layer just decomposed before the top layer. If there's cracks in the surface layer I would just dig them out until you stop finding gold. No need to try getting to the bottom of the clay layer.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedrock is bedrock fellas think about it.............there is a reason for the term false bedrock.....and watever Noahs flood did it can't hold a candle to the eons of geological activity predating it...

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Perhaps the clay layer you found is simply weathered claystone bedrock? Lots of that in my area. Geologyjohn

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True Bedrock is Bedrock and thats why they call it bedrock, but there's always something under it.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The clay is decomposed bedrock. It may be composed of something else, such as quartz that has been completely decayed and did so at a different rate than the upper layer. sulfides in upper layers create sulfuric acid which decomposes the rock. its worth testing that layer and what's under it.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The clay is decomposed bedrock. It may be composed of something else, such as quartz that has been completely decayed and did so at a different rate than the upper layer. sulfides in upper layers create sulfuric acid which decomposes the rock. its worth testing that layer and what's under it.

Thank you
Any rough estimates as to how long this type of thing takes to occur?
Our glacial activity was Mabe 16-20,000 years ago.
If it takes a million years for this to happen then there will be no gold under it
( theoretically )

Also any ideas how to get through this? Shovel is a waste of time

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blaster nozzle works on the clay I have encountered so far. If you aren't dredging, then just carrying a small pump, hose and nozzle shouldn't be too bad. You wouldn't need anything really big.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you
Any rough estimates as to how long this type of thing takes to occur?
Our glacial activity was Mabe 16-20,000 years ago.
If it takes a million years for this to happen then there will be no gold under it
( theoretically )

I don't know about your area, but in mine the gold runs with the sulfides such as pyrite. only fools toss the fools gold without thought! test the clay layer in any case. if there were cracks in the upper bedrock gold would work down to the clay layer. if the gold was in the host rock, its in the clay layer or dissolved and remineralized at the water table line (or where that line was at the time of the event).
https://gustavus.edu/geology/documents/MykrisM_96.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread