What's new

Weird decorated brass tube--SOLVED!

heepiepow

Full Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
249
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! I found this odd tube, it's mostly hollow and an ellipse shape as seen from an end. Seems to be brass. Measures 4 3/4" long by 5/8" wide by 3/8" deep. At one end is a rusty thing on the inside, the other end has a circular "cap" that seats against the tube, and has a groove in it which might be for a screwdriver. The "cap" can be seen at the bottom in the picture. I've WD-40'd it but it's stuck (if it actually is a moveable thing).

I wouldn't be too interested in it and dismissed it as an industrial thing, except for the decorative patterns on the sides. Any ideas? Sorry can't get a better pic, only have a scanner. Thanks! (click on pic to zoom in for closer look at decorations)
 

Attachments

  • unknown tube.webp
    unknown tube.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 623
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Looks like it may have been a lighter, with the top missing ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Dig-m-Deep said:
Looks like it may have been a lighter, with the top missing ???

I'll look that up, thanks. But the endcap doesn't cover the whole end, there are hollow spaces on either side that run deep, so it doesn't look like a place for lighter fluid.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

heepiepow said:
Dig-m-Deep said:
Looks like it may have been a lighter, with the top missing ???

I'll look that up, thanks. But the endcap doesn't cover the whole end, there are hollow spaces on either side that run deep, so it doesn't look like a place for lighter fluid.

closest thing i could find would be this brass foxhole lighter:
show_image.asp

http://collectingfriends.com/content/article.asp?a=111
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

try soaking it in penetrating oil overnight and see if you can turn the "cap" on the bottom, and if it either a) comes out or b) if the part inside moves up and down.....I keep thinking pencil holder for some odd reason, but it looks like it would be kind of awkward for that.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Devil Dog--your link doesn't work for me but thanks! I've found a couple foxhole lighters and they don't look much like this thing. Plus there's no gaps on the sides where a thumbwheel or something would be, and not sure if the lighting part would fit at one end?

NOLA_Ken said:
try soaking it in penetrating oil overnight and see if you can turn the "cap" on the bottom, and if it either a) comes out or b) if the part inside moves up and down.....I keep thinking pencil holder for some odd reason, but it looks like it would be kind of awkward for that.

I'll try that! Yeah, it's shaped oddly for a pencil holder. I managed to scan the end with the "cap" on it, to show how elliptical the shape is:
 

Attachments

  • weirdtubeend.webp
    weirdtubeend.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Interesting. That end cap looks very familiar. I bet it's threaded on both the ID and OD.
Maybe its a comb holder?
Try automatic transmision fluid or ATF and acetone 50/50.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

I guess its not a Mezuzah. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Interesting theories! I couldn't find any close matches from an internet search to the mezuzah or fan holder, but both sure are possibilities.

I soaked it in WD-40 overnight and scraped out a bunch of rusted stuff, so managed to remove the "cap". The brass is attached to a rusted metal tapering thing, which appears to be threaded. Oddly though the thread is nearly flush with the walls of the tube, at least until it starts to taper.

Whatever it is it's really nice looking! Thanks for the help!
 

Attachments

  • inner tube screw.webp
    inner tube screw.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Maybe it's part of a bombilla straw for drinking Mate :dontknow:
http://google.ad.sgdoubleclick.net/pagead/nclk?sa=L&ai=1&fadurl=googleads.g.doubleclick.net&u=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMate_(beverage)&aclck=http%3A%2F%2Ffreehomefind.com%2Findex.php%3Fsearch%3Dbombilla%2Bstraw
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

How 'bout a Victorian perfume holder for a ladies purse, and what you pulled out is what's left of the dauber. The threads are nearly flush with the side of the tube so the dauber can be screwed in/out, thus sealing the bottle. The 3 shown below are not an exact match, but similar purse designs.

Are you sure it is brass? It looks silver or silver plated; or is that an optical illusion from the pics?

Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Perfume1.webp
    Perfume1.webp
    8 KB · Views: 441
  • Perfume2.webp
    Perfume2.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Perfume3.webp
    Perfume3.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Little tapered bit reminds me of a mascara brush. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Is it really tapered? I think its just rusted away like an old nail. I find nails on the beach that look tapered but they are just rusted that way.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Breezie said:
How 'bout a Victorian perfume holder for a ladies purse, and what you pulled out is what's left of the dauber. The threads are nearly flush with the side of the tube so the dauber can be screwed in/out, thus sealing the bottle. The 3 shown below are not an exact match, but similar purse designs.

Are you sure it is brass? It looks silver or silver plated; or is that an optical illusion from the pics?

Breezie

If it held any kind of liquid, I'm baffled why the end cap didn't extend to the hollow parts (so it would indeed seal). Seems that when the cap was settled there would've been a hollow from that end to the other. I think it's definitely brass; don't have a camera so the scanner may indeed skew some colors or whatnot. It's for sure not silver-plated.

bigcypresshunter said:
Is it really tapered? I think its just rusted away like an old nail. I find nails on the beach that look tapered but they are just rusted that way.

Ah, you're right. It does seem to be an odd shape if that's really what it was originally. The closest thing it looks like so far is indeed a mezuzah, but the examples I've seen on the internets include some Judaic symbols, and this piece is just a non-symbolic decoration. Plus would a mezuzah have such a rather utilitarian looking end-cap? I'd think it would be somehow decorative too (?)

Maybe it is some random industrial device, but the manufacturer just said "hey, since we're casting this, why not put some decoration on it!"
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

heepiepow said:
The closest thing it looks like so far is indeed a mezuzah, but the examples I've seen on the internets include some Judaic symbols, and this piece is just a non-symbolic decoration. Plus would a mezuzah have such a rather utilitarian looking end-cap? I'd think it would be somehow decorative too (?)
Im not familiar with Mezuzahs other than I have noticed them on doorways. I think they usually have 2 attachment holes so I dont think its a Mezuzah. Its a tough one.

I wish we had better pics. It looks as if you are scanning them and Im not getting any depth perception.

I enlarged it. It reminds me of antique Eastlake.
 

Attachments

  • unknown_tube[2].webp
    unknown_tube[2].webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Looks like a fancy schmancy cigarette lighter to me. The thing that you unscrewed looks like the long spring which used to hold the flint up against the flintwheel. I know its been guessed as a lighter before, but in my opinion it has been assured of that, for me.......NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

I agree, the thing that came out looks like the screw and spring assembly that holds the flint in a lighter.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Thanks NGE and Gunny! I did some more internet searching and looks like you're right! I found this picture which unfortunately isn't enlargeable, but the one on the left looks a lot like mine, especially the "cap" at the bottom.

So looks like it's not just a lighter, but a cane/walking stick lighter, that OG pimps would be able to light their smokes with. Pretty neat!

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm gonna update this to solved as I think it's narrowed done now! :icon_sunny:
 

Attachments

  • canelighter.webp
    canelighter.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
Re: Weird decorated brass tube

Where do you put in the fuel? Is there cotton inside?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom