Weird magnetic blob

Maiden2112

Jul 10, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 305
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I'm curious as to what you guys think this is. I dug it up when I first got my metal detector. So excited with one of my very first finds. Especially since I received my metal detector with a passion to find meteorites. Anyway any help would be awesome thank you guys so much in advance!

Attachments

• 1431177086607.jpg
    1431177086607.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1431177100632.jpg
    1431177100632.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 1431177115931.jpg
    1431177115931.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1431177129282.jpg
    1431177129282.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 107
This looks kinda like what we have here in Pa.

I was told it is called "bog iron" Supposedly it is a nodular accretion of iron.
The ones I have personally collected do resemble meteorites though.
Where I live it was supposedly mined in small pits that were very local occurrences.

The spot I have been finding it in though is VERY old,, geologically speaking. The sand mine above my home
has "brown" spots in an otherwise "sterile" generic tan or white colored sand deposit.
Personally I believe that some of the so called "bog iron" is meteoric.
What I mean is that billions of years ago meteorites fell into an ancient shallow sea. To be covered by sand.
Then as the limestone laid down much later in time eroded away leaving the ancient seabed along with the meteorites in situ where they sank.

I have been scoffed for this theory but it does have merit I believe. Even due to one specimen that actually has some type of crystals on it .
The geologist at Dickinson College laughed when I showed him that specimen telling me the crystal would dissolve under weak acid.
Well, we got to a 25% HCL solution and his posture changed,, the crystals were still intact, meaning they were formed under high heat, which in my mind leads me to believe they MAY be meteoric in origin.
At that point he quickly ushered me out of the lab telling me he had no time for such "foolishness".

I have several specimens that are almost identical to yours, and a few of those actually have concave / convex surfaces showing the same surface artifacts as "real" meteorites.
(pocking and "bowl" shaped from heat and air pressure of re-entry)

These are MY observations and experiences,,, all are different

Hit

Upvote 0
Its still a neat rock specimen no matter what it is, I have found very few rocks with that my detector will hit hard on when discriminating any ! So far I have one supposed ore stone that was very deep down in the clay, Sovereign hit very good on it read out at screw cap range, was at least a foot down and into the hard-pan clay soils. My two definite meteorite finds are small and will not come through in discriminate modes on most detectors. Read like a small nail. They are finds that I eyeballed in some gravel.

Upvote 0
Slag from a forge or boiler fire ???

Upvote 0
Wow, I like your idea. Too bad the professor was such a rude duck. Mine does have a black crystal like look to it. Either way I think it's pretty awesome. Thanks you guys!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back