Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In42 years of metal detecting, I do not ever remember there not being frost in the ground in the winter. I spent my first 21 years metal detecting in Litchfield County Connecticut and Dutchess County New York and then the next 21 years a bit further north in Albany County and Saratoga County in upstate New York and it was always a miserable 3 to 5 over the winter from when frost set in until the ground thawed enough, but this year, there has not been any frost and I have been metal detecting every chance I have gotten so far, which is why this post is almost a full two months in the year.

Previously, the earliest I had ever struck silver was March 20th. This year was January 7th. It was a big deal, a 1946 Roosevelt dime but its always nice to get the first one out of the way. But two recent weekends of hunt have given me two different trifectas and one quadfecta. Is quadfecta even a word? Guessing not since auto correct doesn't like it.

On Feb 3, 2024, I went to a place in town that I keep in the back of my pocket for quick hunts. Previously, the oldest coin I had ever found there was and 1865 Indian Head. I started out finding clad, so I headed out down road lined with trees and found the first decent find of the day, an 1897 Liberty Nickel. A little further down the road was a 1935 Wheat Cent. I got to the end of the end and then went back to path that connected the road I was hunting along and a parallel road. A solid 97 in every direction I swung the Manticore and 3 bars down. Dug the plug and out popped a large copper. It was worn pretty good on the observe and toasted on the back but I though for sure it was a large cent. When I got home and cleaned it up a bit, it turned out to be Vermont copper. Four centuries of coins in one day. 1787, 1897, 1935 and 2000's clad.

Vermont Copper.jpg

So after find a quadfecta, I went back on February 4, and found a trifecta. 1817 Large Cent (15 Stars Variety), 1897 Indian Head and a 1916 Wheat Cent.

1817 Large Cent.jpg

Nothing worth posting on the next few trips but a dime trifecta on February 18

dimes.jpg

Wish the pictures were better. One of these days I will figure out how to take better pictures or figure out how to use my scanner.

Anthony

Upvote 23
Congrats on the winter hunting, kind of crazy to believe there's no frost.
Asked a buddy that's live near me all his life it is the first time he has seen no frost.

Yep, it's been a crazy mild winter in the northeast. I'm waiting for some nicer weather to head outside with my detector here in Rensselaer County.

In42 years of metal detecting, I do not ever remember there not being frost in the ground in the winter. I spent my first 21 years metal detecting in Litchfield County Connecticut and Dutchess County New York and then the next 21 years a bit further north in Albany County and Saratoga County in upstate New York and it was always a miserable 3 to 5 over the winter from when frost set in until the ground thawed enough, but this year, there has not been any frost and I have been metal detecting every chance I have gotten so far, which is why this post is almost a full two months in the year.

Previously, the earliest I had ever struck silver was March 20th. This year was January 7th. It was a big deal, a 1946 Roosevelt dime but its always nice to get the first one out of the way. But two recent weekends of hunt have given me two different trifectas and one quadfecta. Is quadfecta even a word? Guessing not since auto correct doesn't like it.

On Feb 3, 2024, I went to a place in town that I keep in the back of my pocket for quick hunts. Previously, the oldest coin I had ever found there was and 1865 Indian Head. I started out finding clad, so I headed out down road lined with trees and found the first decent find of the day, an 1897 Liberty Nickel. A little further down the road was a 1935 Wheat Cent. I got to the end of the end and then went back to path that connected the road I was hunting along and a parallel road. A solid 97 in every direction I swung the Manticore and 3 bars down. Dug the plug and out popped a large copper. It was worn pretty good on the observe and toasted on the back but I though for sure it was a large cent. When I got home and cleaned it up a bit, it turned out to be Vermont copper. Four centuries of coins in one day. 1787, 1897, 1935 and 2000's clad.

View attachment 2132586
So after find a quadfecta, I went back on February 4, and found a trifecta. 1817 Large Cent (15 Stars Variety), 1897 Indian Head and a 1916 Wheat Cent.

View attachment 2132587

View attachment 2132591

Wish the pictures were better. One of these days I will figure out how to take better pictures or figure out how to use my scanner.

Anthony
Congratulations yea weather is crazy today in the am it was 16 now it’s almost warm out! Lot of old history in Dutches County I’m originally from Orange.
42 years is amazing.

I'm glad you could get out and hunt a little! My wife and I have moved 21 times in the last 53 years from Tn, Ga, Ma, Tx, NC and Alabama and I believe I have seen frost in every state.

View attachment 2132586

View attachment 2132587

View attachment 2132591

Anthony
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back