AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening,

As many times as I have read the instructions, and watched the video, would someone please explain the proper setting of these dials to detect only higher grade silver coins, or gold coins? I can not wrap my mind around the Sensitivity dial and when valuable either. I am usually in the mountains, so far from technology. Does one want more, or less Sensitivity when looking in the wilderness, not an area like a public beach or urban area that would be full of trash.Thank you for ANY and ALL advice. Thank you very much.
IMG_6225.JPG

I have found a lot of the following along an old logging road near Cleveland, Georgia, and I would like to find less of this, and do not know how to change the settings to ignore this, in favor of coins and valuables:
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6214.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High Indicators is where the silver is along with pull tabs
Low Indicators is where gold and bottle caps are
dont notch anything

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much you can do about big iron. Even the high end detectors get fooled by it. Gold and silver are on opposite ends of the spectrum. To only detect silver would knock out any gold signals. To hear gold signals, you would have to hear aluminum/foil signals. That detector doesn't have a fast recovery speed, so if there is a lot of iron/trash, you will miss small coin sized objects. It will pick them up in cleaner ground. Your sensitivity would depend on the hunting conditions. High iron saturation prevents depth, so a lower sensitivity would be needed. If the ground is clean, then you can run full sensitivity. The easiest way to set that detector is to hit the auto notch button (will try to automatically notch out most trash signals, but you might lose gold) and then swing your desired targets across the coil while turning the disrm/notch knob to the right until they are just detectable. If they stop giving a signal then back the knob up until they register.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The board in the 202 shares 99% of the DNA of the Lone star and Quick Draw models. The 202 just has a few less features.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. This is great insight. Much appreciated. Since I am out in the woods, I suppose Any metallic object would be of interest.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a great tutorial. Thanks for pointing out the similarities to my model, totally applied.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the scenario you describe, yes I would investigate anything that made a beep. Those models can give a lower tone on high conductors once you hit a certain depth. It could be a cool iron relic falsing, or something non ferrous partially masked by iron. It is a game of patience and determination. You might dig a 5 gallon bucket full of iron before you find 1 coin. One thing you know for sure is that somebody dropped something interesting.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tones and display will become easier for ID the more you get to know your detector. But don't take them as gospel most of the time. We all have to dig the junk to find the prize. The recovery rate (time to reset before giving another display) is a bit slower than the 21st century designs. So swing slower to give it time to ID. Remember to walk around what you are detecting, circling it and hitting from different directions.

It's one of the oldies but goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread