well, found....

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or found well if you prefer. Descided to further investigate the area of what I had believed to be part of a foundation(3'stretch of flat rock disinegrated brick remnants), I had dug it previously and seemed it just ended at the 3' on either end, I was using this as my guide line for where the structure stood as nothing is above ground.

Well had only about an hour to search today and forgot my sifter, so I figured I'd try again to find if a little more of the foundation was there. This time I dug from a different side and angle and realized it didn't end, it curved, in fact it curved all the way around. Yes 2.5' below grade completely uncovered now a beautiful fully in tact well foundation.

Unfortunately now I have no idea where the actual structure is as my calculations are now useless.

Sorry that excited me a little. I do have a question, is there a law of averages for distance from a house that a well is built(obviously it has to do with water) but I'm thinking they probably did the well first in those days. This could give me a better idea of a radius to look for the building foundation, since there are no real signs to help me out.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Say what? You have uncovered the well foundation but don't know where the well is?? Not sure what you mean. Give it another try and maybe some good information will be coming your way.

Daryl

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Daryl- I think he is saying that he has found the well foundation, but he is not sure where the livivng quarters is located. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood his post, but that is what I got from it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe he is saying the foundation surprised him by being a well and now he's wondering where the home itself may be.

Should be close to the well, for certain. Might have been a seperate well for the livestock though. I've seen some that are 100 yards from the house (pity the kids who shaged the water for the kitchen cistern). Sometimes ground water peeters out and you have to find new water on the property. Thinks like putting in roads, draining wetlands, subsoiling fields and logging off land can really mess up the water table.

Well first, then barn, then home. That's the way you build a homesite. ;)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Now I get it. I thought the structure he was referring to was the structure sometimes erected over the well to keep stuff out.

The other posters are correct. Well is first. No water. No farm essentially.

I would take a look at the site with Google Earth. Sometimes the pass was made in the winter and the site is pretty clear. You should be able to pick out a foundation location by the different color of the ground and its shape.

There is no formula for where the house would go. I would look for other signs of where the house would have been. Trees were typically planted in a box shaped pattern around the house area. The same species of trees in a straight line were intentionally planted as squirrels aren't that smart. Look for plants that would indicate a house location. Some plants survive for many, many years. They tended to be closer to the house than the trees.

The foundation may have been pillars not a rectangular wall. Look for piles or groups of rocks. You may have to probe for them with a slender sharp rod. Take along some survey flags to put where you find things. You may see a pattern once you get some flags in the ground.

Hope this helps.

Daryl

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys, going to myrtle beach for the week so will have to wait,I must be sick, because I think my vacation will be spent wanting to be home now ;D

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indeed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions